Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
bushings on 2004 cruiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Jan 2011, 09:32 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default bushings on 2004 cruiser

Has anyone noticed after 60k miles on '04 base model there seem to be so many squeaks and noises. they are not muffler rattles but seem like body squeaks and groans.wondered if their are any bushings that deteiorate and need replaced.
Old 23 Jan 2011, 09:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: bushings on 2004 cruiser

Lots of owners have had to replace the bushings. Have them checked out by a local garage or do it yourself. You can usually see the tell tale signs of the rubber wearing prematurely.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 23 Jan 2011, 01:43 pm
Regular Cruiser

I have been slowly replacing all my rubbers with some moog replacements from advanced auto and so far have no issues with them.

Old 23 Jan 2011, 03:40 pm
Young Cruiser

on my 2001 I had to replace all the bushings in the lower control arms and the sway bar bushings. The lower control arms had completely broken free from the steel bushing and were making a horrid knocking noise each time you went over a bump in the road. Replaced all the bushings with MOOG's and now she's quiet again, the job is easily accomplished at home with a few tools. Only critical one you need is a torque wrench capable of doing 185 ft/lbs for the lower control arm rear bushing mount.
Old 23 Jan 2011, 04:06 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4safari View Post
on my 2001 I had to replace all the bushings in the lower control arms and the sway bar bushings. The lower control arms had completely broken free from the steel bushing and were making a horrid knocking noise each time you went over a bump in the road. Replaced all the bushings with MOOG's and now she's quiet again, the job is easily accomplished at home with a few tools. Only critical one you need is a torque wrench capable of doing 185 ft/lbs for the lower control arm rear bushing mount.
took my car into the dealer for an oil change last week and they said I will need the lower control arms done. Glad the moogs worked out for you. I will def. give them a shot.

Old 24 Jan 2011, 08:01 am
Young Cruiser

james I should have mentioned that i replaced the complete lower control arm assembly. I thought of just buying the bushings and a new ball joint but after considering the work with pressing the bushings out ect I decided to spend the extra and get the complete part.
The bushings and ball joint for MOOG would have been about $30 per side, the complete lower control arm less the huge frustrastion of installing the bushing was $70 per side.

The install was simple as mentioned only needed the big torque wrench for some of the high torques required. I did also use plenty of PB Blaster on the bolts which no doubt see the worst of the enviroments being so low to the road. Good Luck with yours.
Old 24 Jan 2011, 09:47 am
Veteran Cruiser

Wow! Impressed! One of the most un-fun jobs on a vehicle as the bushing's
metal sheath usually rusts to the bolt!
If you do replace suspension components, use Permatex #3 on everything.
The moment you open the bottle you'll see why.
Anti seize washes off is very short order.
Old 24 Jan 2011, 05:09 pm
Young Cruiser

Uptown the bolts have actually got a lot better in the years, automotive use a dacromat coating on all heavy environmental requirement bolts. Its the silver gray coating that almost looks like galvanizing but isnít. The coating has a ridiculous amount of salt spray resistance and is perfect for suspension applications. The bolts wont easily rust to the inside of the bushing. They will however rust in the threads as the coating tends to shear off under high torque applications.

My biggest fear was breaking one the M16 or M14 bolts off in the threads and having to drill and tap the darn things out. With a grade 10.9 I would have been drilling for a life time and gone through many a drill bits. That being said on the bright side all went pretty smooth, i have learnt some good techniques in the year for loosing rusted bolts, maybe I will write a book on them someday
Old 24 Jan 2011, 09:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Anyone try a poly bushing? I'm thinking about swapping my rubbers out for poly in the spring.
Old 25 Jan 2011, 01:05 am
Veteran Cruiser

The Prothane kit?
Have it on the Neon. It's Red.

Seriously, the control arm bushings are better, the Neon had extremely pliable
rubber.
Solid rod ends would be better yet.
Have prothane on one side in rear, don't think it matter's much there.