Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
HELP!! It won't start!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Jan 2011, 04:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default HELP!! It won't start!

Hey everyone. This is my first post. I used to be a member of PTCC when they were still around and this is the first time I've gone back to a PT Cruiser forum.

I was having trouble with my battery. If the car sat for more then a day it would not start without a jump. A couple days ago, it wouldn't start even with a jump, so I bit the bullet and replaced the battery (I just got a job after being unemployed for 2 years, so every penny counts.)

The car will crank and sputter from time to time, but won't start. The new battery is strong and has no problem cranking. I'm a computer programmer, not a mechanic. However, I'm mechanically inclined, so the inside of an engine bay doesn't scare me.

Any ideas why it won't start after a battery replacement? Or is the replacement just a coincidence? It ran perfectly up until I parked it that night. No sputtering or cutting out.

*EDIT*

A mechanic fried of my Dad's came over and took a look. He thinks the timing belt may have gone. Which is very bad. I know it should have been changed at 60,000 miles, but like I said, I was not working, so I couldn't afford to change it. Looks like it's going to be down a while.

Thanks to anyone who can help. I hope I can revive it without taking it to a mechanic. I really don't have the money.

-Ray

Vitals:
2006 PT Cruiser (base model)
70,000 miles
Automatic 2.4L NA (no turbo)

Last edited by lcarsx32; 23 Jan 2011 at 04:32 pm.
Old 23 Jan 2011, 05:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: HELP!! It won't start!

Welcome to the Forum. It is possible the timing belt broke, but most change at 100,000 miles not 60,000. Did you do the key dance to see IF the computer throws a code? Let us know.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 23 Jan 2011, 07:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ummm... Key dance? I hooked up an OBD-II code reader and it gave no codes. Is there another procedure that might give more info?

Thanks for the welcome, BTW.

-Ray
Old 23 Jan 2011, 07:37 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

The key dance is another way to get fault codes stored on your computer.Here is a link.How to retrieve fault codes.
Old 23 Jan 2011, 09:04 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Did the key dance and got P0522, which google tells me is "Engine Oil Pressure Sensor/Switch Circuit Low Voltage". So I checked the oil, and it's fine. Just to make sure, I tried the key dance again and this time just got "d0ne". So, three questions:

1) Would the oil pressure sensor cause the car not to start?

2) After running the key dance, are the codes cleared?

3) Is there some way to rule out the timing belt? An inspection or something I can do? I'm not afraid to take things apart.

Thanks for the help,
Ray
Old 23 Jan 2011, 09:56 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Ray,

Funny you should mention that. There's been one or two people that had trouble starting with the oil pressure light on and I tried to help a woman once where her call stalled in the middle of the road. I told her how to run the key trick and it was the oil pressure sensor. She had it towed to the dealer, they couldn't find anything wrong but changed the sensor anyway and it started up. Why? Who knows. Sensor shouldn't have anything to do with starting.

The codes shouldn't clear unless cleared by a scanner or one of the battery cables are taken off for a few minutes.

The only two ways I know to find out if the timing belt is broke is to take off the cover which isn't easy, or take off the Camshaft sensor which is at the side of the engine at the end of one of the camshafts. After the sensor is taken off, the end of the cam can be seen. When the engine is turned over, the cam should be turning. If not, the belt is broke.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 23 Jan 2011, 10:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Somebody told me the engine would also crank faster than normal (why, I don't know) if the belt was broken. I suppose this is a myth?

Thanks for the help. For less than $20 for the sensor, it's certainly worth the a try. I'll report back with the results. Probably won't be till next weekend, tho.

-Ray
Old 23 Jan 2011, 11:07 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
Ray,

Funny you should mention that. There's been one or two people that had trouble starting with the oil pressure light on and I tried to help a woman once where her call stalled in the middle of the road. I told her how to run the key trick and it was the oil pressure sensor. She had it towed to the dealer, they couldn't find anything wrong but changed the sensor anyway and it started up. Why? Who knows. Sensor shouldn't have anything to do with starting.
I think that if the sensor senses no oil pressure it cuts the fuel pump and allows no fuel to get to the engine to stop further damage.

That could possibly be why it is sputtering/cuttingout.

2003 PT Cruiser GT Autoshift
1986 Toyota Pickup 4x4
1989 Honda Hatch Si
2003 Polaris Predator 500
2001 Yamaha YZF R6
Old 23 Jan 2011, 11:49 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcarsx32 View Post
Somebody told me the engine would also crank faster than normal (why, I don't know) if the belt was broken. I suppose this is a myth?

Thanks for the help. For less than $20 for the sensor, it's certainly worth the a try. I'll report back with the results. Probably won't be till next weekend, tho.

-Ray
if the belt was broken, the camshaft(s) as well as the water pump would not be turning, hence less drag. it's happened to me twice, each time on a different car. very noticable that it turns over quicker.
Old 24 Jan 2011, 12:06 am
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyomb View Post
if the belt was broken, the camshaft(s) as well as the water pump would not be turning, hence less drag. it's happened to me twice, each time on a different car. very noticable that it turns over quicker.
Same thing when the timing belt broke on my Ford Ranger.Engine turned over faster and sounded completely different.At least it was easy to put the belt on that.Did it myself and it cost less than $100.