Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Holy...COLD!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Jan 2011, 09:06 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Holy...COLD!

This is a first for me; this morning it was -24C, I fired up the PT..turned over a bit slower than usual..that's to be expected,but, the power steering pump was moaning like it was being killed! In fact it was putting such a drag on the engine I had to keep my foot on the gas to keep it from stalling for 4~5 min!
I've never experienced anything like this before on any vehicle..sure I've heard power steering whining,but never had one drag down the RPM's before
Anyone else had this happen? And all you wise guys WAY down South where the coldest you see is in the 70's~80's..need not make wise cracks!..LOL
Old 23 Jan 2011, 11:52 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Holy...COLD!

I've had mine as low as -3 and while harder to start, no real noticeable noise from the power steering. Wonder if you got some water in that pump.
Old 24 Jan 2011, 08:36 am
Fanatic Cruiser

-19 here this morning. Our HEMI Ram wasn't impressed... Took a couple minutes for the PS fluid to get moving, but it did roar to life. I manage a transportation program - we have 24 Dodge Caravans (1998 to 2005 - mileage from 100K to about 240K). All but 1 started this morning, and I'm pretty sure it didn't because it's had no dry gas added this season. Pretty impressive when you think about it really...
Old 24 Jan 2011, 11:08 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I haven't been in it that cold, only down to minus teens, but PS did howl.
I ended up putting a piece of cardboard in front of radiator - temp gauge stayed at midway, but seemed to help w/interior heat.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles

Last edited by quicksilverdon; 24 Jan 2011 at 11:19 am.
Old 24 Jan 2011, 02:51 pm
Regular Cruiser

It was near zero overnight and up to 15 when I started the car this morning. I backed up twenty feet, and turning at the entry to the driveway, and the pump failed. One loud howl, and now no power assist at slow speed when you really need it. It runs normal going down the road with engine speed up, but at idle like going in and out of a parking spot you're on your own. Anybody see something like this before. 05 with 62,000 miles
Old 24 Jan 2011, 06:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You guys don't know the meaning of cold. It's been in the upper -20sC to low -30C for the past week. And windchills down to mid 40sC No problem with the PT here
Old 24 Jan 2011, 06:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

This was the temp here yesterday morning -5 F(-20 C) windchill -18 F (-27 C)....The PT was a little more labored in the cold but started right up and no noises...That's in the Mid Michigan areas...But Pipergeorge is the King of COLD..lol

Last edited by twress; 24 Jan 2011 at 06:54 pm.
Old 24 Jan 2011, 06:59 pm
Regular Cruiser

-31 here this morning, pt started... very... very... very slowly, took like 30second to do a turn but once started everything was fine. the slow starting is all due to my brand new 93$ battery from canadian tire that is rated for more amps than stock... but still have a hard time starting as soon as its freezing outside. a couple of people I know bought the same brand of batteries at canadian tires and got similar, or worse result, I do NOT recommand any of their batteries
Old 24 Jan 2011, 06:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Old 24 Jan 2011, 07:02 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris View Post
-31 here this morning, pt started... very... very... very slowly, took like 30second to do a turn but once started everything was fine. the slow starting is all due to my brand new 93$ battery from canadian tire that is rated for more amps than stock... but still have a hard time starting as soon as its freezing outside. a couple of people I know bought the same brand of batteries at canadian tires and got similar, or worse result, I do NOT recommand any of their batteries
Sounds like you need to take that battery back.I just put a new battery in my wife's 05 PT last week because it was doing the same thing.It was 6 years old though.