Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Body computer shuts off with HID lights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jan 2011, 01:27 am
Cool Cruiser

Default Body computer shuts off with HID lights

Hi I'm having a problem with my HID lights and body control module seemingly hating each other. I have a 55w 6000k HID kit on my high beam (which is giving me the trouble) and a 35w 6000k kit on my fog lights.

The trouble started initially when I installed them simply plug and play as per directions. Almost everytime I would flick the highs on, the doors would lock, the the gauges would die, and almost all my dash lights would turn on. Some googling tells me this is the body control module which apparently is built into the instrument panel.

I then wire the positive power to a 40 amp relay to fix the problem. That lessened but didn't solve it.

I wired the ground wire from the lights directly to the battery. This has also still not solved the problem. Most of the time it's good but it will still sometimes mess with the bcm.

The only thing that the bcm has contact with is the relay, and I've checked that the lights don't feed back to the battery and give voltage spikes. What is messing with it?
2001 Red PT Cruiser Limited, 16" OEM alloys, Airaid CAI, Screamin' Demon coil and Livewires, some shiny stuff inside, Alpine deck, Alpine four channel amp, Alpine PLT5 sub, Hertz speakers in 4 corners, Keystone ram air hood, 6000k 55w HID high beams, 6000k 35w HID fog lights, new stone chips every day to add character.

2007 Suzuki King Quad 700 4x4 for when the road gets bumpy.

Old 28 Jan 2011, 01:11 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Body computer shuts off with HID lights

you need to get a digital kit and not one of the cheap kits. or buy the cancelling kit. may or may not fit your kit

.::LIGHTDEPOT.CA.: Toronto Lighting Canada HID Kit | Led bulbs | LED Strip Lights | Beacon Lights | Strobe Lights ::
Old 11 Feb 2011, 07:29 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Re: Body computer shuts off with HID lights

I bought a cancelling kit. It is supposed to be for systems using CANBUS for the lights. As far as I know my 01 doesn't. I still have the same problem where somehow there is interference with my body computer.

You're right that I bought a non digital kit. How would the digital kit be better?

I would love it if anybody would have any idea what could cause this interference.

Thanks
2001 Red PT Cruiser Limited, 16" OEM alloys, Airaid CAI, Screamin' Demon coil and Livewires, some shiny stuff inside, Alpine deck, Alpine four channel amp, Alpine PLT5 sub, Hertz speakers in 4 corners, Keystone ram air hood, 6000k 55w HID high beams, 6000k 35w HID fog lights, new stone chips every day to add character.

2007 Suzuki King Quad 700 4x4 for when the road gets bumpy.