Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
o2 Sensor Help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jan 2011, 12:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default o2 Sensor Help

Hey guys, I have a 2008 PT Cruiser Touring. I had to have 2 of the o2 sensors replaced, and 500 Miles later the Check Engine light came back on, reading the same two codes and same o2 sensors. I tried disconnecting the battery, but that didn't do anything. Also, there is definitly some sort of problem because when I first start the car at home or if we go out or something, the car will barely keep itself running, and sometimes eventually die out until it runs for a short stretch. Any suggestions on why i'd need o2's again and why the car runs so ruff? The brand of 02 Sensors was : Mopar

Thanks again for any help
Old 27 Jan 2011, 08:36 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: o2 Sensor Help

hows your fuel consumption? if its really good, then you could have a blocked or restricted fuel filter or fuel injector. Too lean a fuel mixture causing the exhaust gas to run hotter than normal and burn up the o2 sensor. Also the culprit for your rough idle. A vacuum leak could also cause rough idle, and to much air would cause the motor to burn lean as well.

Or converse of that your fuel consumption is terrible, meaning you are running extremely rich. fuel injector stuck open, fuel injector cracked. to much fuel in the exhaust ruins the CAT and will burn up o2 sensors. Also makes for a rough idle.

There are to many variables at the moment you need to systematically check the fuel and ignition system to narrow in on the problem.
Old 28 Jan 2011, 08:23 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: o2 Sensor Help

Have you replaced the plugs and wires recently? It could be that either is going bad and not igniting all of the fuel and ultimately ruining your sensors. I had an o2 sensor fault code of burning too rich in my upper bank sensor and replacing the plugs ended up fixing the issue. Cheap and easy fix.