PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2007 2.4L interference engine?

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Jan 2011, 08:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2007 2.4L interference engine?

I was driving home and exiting the highway when my pt just died. No sputtering or symptoms, engine just stopped. Had it towed to a repair shop which I'm not sure is reputable or not. Just moved to NJ. Mechanic called and said my timing belt is broke and said he is gonna test to see if valves and pistons were damaged since it's an interference engine. Mechanic said he is certain there is engine damage due to it being an interference engine. I don't know much about cars and don't want to get taken for a "ride" by mechanic. I read some threads here stating the 2.4L is a no interference engine even tho gates site lists it as interference. Anyone have suggestions as to whether its interference or not? And if he says it has engine damage is there a way I can double check to make sure? When my pt died there wasn't any noises or sounds. It was just a smooth stall and it cranks but doesn't fire up. Fuel pump sounds like it's coming on. Thanks for any help!!!!!!!!
Old 27 Jan 2011, 08:12 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2007 2.4L interference engine?

Welcome to the Forum!!! That sux to have something happen like that. IF there is any damage it will be only be to the valves and not the pistons. To really check they will have to pull the head, but before they do that, once the timing belt etc. is changed, they better do a compression check first.
You are looking at about 5-6 hrs labor and about $3-400 for parts. If he hasn't worked on a PT before, I would suggest taking it to a dealer, that way you would have a warranty for later.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 27 Jan 2011, 08:12 pm
Cool Cruiser

Every post about this I've read here says..NO....it's not an interference type engine; Find a new mechanic that KNOWS what he's talking about, sounds like this one either doesn't know, is after your wallet...or BOTH!
BTW, if there was piston to valve damage..I'm sure you would hear it when you turn the engine over!
Old 27 Jan 2011, 08:44 pm
Regular Cruiser

And every post from somebody...shade tree mechanic or pro, who is doing it for the first time reports having had problems. The timing belt on the Cruiser is not easy to get right. DO NOT let somewbody who does not know what they are doing do this work. Ask how many of these he has done on the PT Cruiser.
Old 27 Jan 2011, 08:44 pm
Veteran Cruiser

The 2.4 can 'tic' valve to valve. The head, bore size, appearance is exactly
same as the 2.0 DOHC which is an interference engine, so one gets confused.

The pistons, however, are of a bizarre design relative the 2.0 (or any engine
produced by humans) ; they are so far down in bore at TDC that they don't hit.

Put in new belt, idler, tensioner pulley, and waterpump. A good shop ALWAYS
puts the old parts in a bag in the trunk. Ensure they install top quality parts.

They don't make any sounds when they hit.
Old 27 Jan 2011, 08:58 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

sorry to hear about your baby. i hope she gets well soon. I don't know anything about stuff like this but i just wanted to say welcome to the forum. Greetings from Eve(07 Touring Ed) and I.
Old 27 Jan 2011, 11:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

like already said the 2.4 is a non interference motor some how at high rpm's the valve's can nick each other but not the pistons unless the wrist pins let go then you got a real mess

go to a dealer and get a WARENTY
Old 28 Jan 2011, 12:14 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: 2007 2.4L interference engine?

welcome to the forum from Va. and take it to another mech. and see if he has the same opinion as the first.
Old 28 Jan 2011, 04:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks alot for all the help. Waiting to get estimate from mechanic for new timing belt. He said he did a test and isn't 100% sure if valves are damaged until he puts new belt on so I'm just waiting for his phone call. Just moved to NJ so if anyone does know a good mechanic around the Bordentown area I'd be very grateful. And if I go to dealer they will give warranty on the timing belt?
Old 28 Jan 2011, 05:40 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaekae6 View Post
Thanks alot for all the help. Waiting to get estimate from mechanic for new timing belt. He said he did a test and isn't 100% sure if valves are damaged until he puts new belt on so I'm just waiting for his phone call. Just moved to NJ so if anyone does know a good mechanic around the Bordentown area I'd be very grateful. And if I go to dealer they will give warranty on the timing belt?
You will need more than the belt and Yes, you will get a warranty on all parts & labor.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar