Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
error code p0441

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jan 2011, 12:36 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default error code p0441

I have a 2003 pt cruiser GT turbo. 1.5 weeks ago I had trouble with the gas cap when filling it up. Could not get it off and then couldn't get it back on. A week later the engine light came on. I replaced the gas cap (from the dealer) and then read up how to get the error code and found it was the
p0441. The engine light is still on. It could be that sensor on the gas tank or the solenoids...what I want to know is how long can I drive it before it becomes a serious issue? The light has been on for two weeks now. Is it still safe to drive?
I have not tried disconnecting the neg. cable on the battery to clear the computer either.

Any thoughts?
Old 28 Jan 2011, 12:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: error code p0441

incorrect purge flow. the PCM decided to burn off the fuel vapors. when it did, the map and o2 sensors didn't react as expected.

hole in vacuum line, purge solenoid defective, leak at the charcoal canister. and the list goes on.
Old 28 Jan 2011, 12:39 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

take off the negitive cable for 10-15 minutes the clean the terminals and put it back on it should clear the codes
Old 28 Jan 2011, 01:03 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Someone more knowledgable may correct me if I am wrong. I do not believe that this error code problem is serious enough to worry about driving the car without diagnosing and fixing the problem. You would likely fail a state emmissions test however.
My 2004 sets this code frequently, code p0441 or p0440 or both. I purchased an inexpensive code reader and simply erase the code when it appears. If any other code appears, I will see this when I connect the reader after the check engine light comes on. No other problems have occured. The gas cap can be the source of this code appearing. Whether I use the original OEM gas cap or the aftermarket locking cap I bought makes no difference. I always tighten the cap my self after adding fuel (we do not have self-serve in Oregon).
Curiously, (as I understand) the 2006 and newer cars have a 'gas cap' light so I think the engineers know that their gas tank evap system is questionable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynrhyn View Post
I have a 2003 pt cruiser GT turbo. 1.5 weeks ago I had trouble with the gas cap when filling it up. Could not get it off and then couldn't get it back on. A week later the engine light came on. I replaced the gas cap (from the dealer) and then read up how to get the error code and found it was the
p0441. The engine light is still on. It could be that sensor on the gas tank or the solenoids...what I want to know is how long can I drive it before it becomes a serious issue? The light has been on for two weeks now. Is it still safe to drive?
I have not tried disconnecting the neg. cable on the battery to clear the computer either.

Any thoughts?
Old 28 Jan 2011, 05:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the input. I am going to try to clear the codes and see if the alleviates the problem.
Old 28 Jan 2011, 08:29 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I am not suggesting that clearing the codes will alleviate the problem. The light will likely return. I am only saying that this problem and the light coming on is more of a nuisance than a serious issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynrhyn View Post
Thanks for the input. I am going to try to clear the codes and see if the alleviates the problem.