PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
06 PT: Starter relay?

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Jan 2011, 10:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 06 PT: Starter relay?

I'd like to find out where the starter relay is for this year of PT and up, I know most of you guys have 01-05s, but I've seen a few '06-'09 folks around the forum.

The image here does show a relay for the '06-'07, but I'm stumped if I can find it. I took out the battery pan (to check the starter), unmounted the TIPM/Fuse box, and can't find the two additional leads the image shows as holding the relays for the cutoff and starter relay. I did find what the diagram lists as the powertrain modules mounted on the firewall, and the relays aren't located inside the TIPM/engine compartment fuse box.

Is it located under the plastic panel that rests just forward of/under the front glass and wipers, above the firewall?

The reason for my query is that recently, I had the starter conk out on me after I came out of the store. The PT was chugging along perfectly before this, though I did find a little bit of corrosion when I popped the hood that wasn't there the week prior when I changed my oil and filter. I cleaned the battery posts and the wire fittings, and still only got clicks, and the occasional blackout when I tried to turn the engine over. I checked the fuses in the TIPM, then had the PT taken home and removed the starter for testing after consulting the many starter related threads here.

The starter and solenoid tested fine, I had Shucks and Acme Electric (alternator/starter rebuild shop) test and check the starter, so they aren't likely to be at fault. The battery checks out, and the ground and positive wires are still intact and look fine, though I did smell an electrical smell when the starter wouldn't turn over. So, as far as I can tell, I'm left with the relay as a potential cause.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg large.jpg (20.3 KB, 130 views)

Last edited by Kell; 29 Jan 2011 at 06:09 am. Reason: More information.
Old 29 Jan 2011, 08:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 06 PT: Starter relay?

My thanks to the guys at the Allpar forums, who helped me figure this out.

Chrysler changed the relay type for the '06 and up, they're now large square relays along the firewall close to the driver's side hood support, not the smaller rectangular sort that the 05 and below used. There's a block of 4 that handles transmission and engine on the firewall right next to/behind the idle air control, and then right next to the support, the starter relay and cutoff relay.

The guy I had helping me at the Chrysler dealer hadn't seen this kind of relay before, which was no doubt why he'd given me the wrong part.

And now, back to your regular :crickets:.
Old 29 Jan 2011, 08:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Kell, have you gone through any of the start up diagnostics? There are quite a few things that can cause this and the service manual has like two pages of just diagnostics. They even include a table that indicates what should be on each position of the relay so you can test to see if you trouble is ignition switch, PCM controlled ground, etc.

I'll PM you some info...

Sorry I didn't answer sooner, I'm usually here every day but my wife just got laid off so we're sort of still in a panic.....
Old 29 Jan 2011, 08:52 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Kell, have you gone through any of the start up diagnostics? There are quite a few things that can cause this and the service manual has like two pages of just diagnostics. They even include a table that indicates what should be on each position of the relay so you can test to see if you trouble is ignition switch, PCM controlled ground, etc.

I'll PM you some info...

Sorry I didn't answer sooner, I'm usually here every day but my wife just got laid off so we're sort of still in a panic.....
I hate to highjack this thread but I just wanted to say sorry to hear about your wife getting laid off Chromenut.Hopefully things will work out for the best.
Old 29 Jan 2011, 10:31 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:

I'll PM you some info...

I haven't, beyond what was suggested here on the forum. Codes, testing the starter, and the click sound.

Thank you for the PM, and the reply. I'm sorry to hear your family is being hit with a layoff, it seems like everyone's getting them these days.
Old 01 Feb 2011, 04:38 am
Fresh Cruiser

And she's running again.

I replaced the battery terminals, tossed in the new parts, and it started up right away. It's been through 20 odd starts, and I've seen no problems whatsoever.

Woot!
Old 01 Feb 2011, 09:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
my wife just got laid off so we're sort of still in a panic.....
Recently my daughter's place of work was closed, but she managed to find another place for nearly 25% more pay - she was making squat, so it's still no where near big bucks, but better.
Hope your wife has similar luck.
Are you near Raleigh, or Reasearch Triangle? THe Wall St banks all have places there, and they are doing well now indeed (on our money).
Old 01 Feb 2011, 09:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kell View Post
And she's running again.

I replaced the battery terminals, tossed in the new parts, and it started up right away. It's been through 20 odd starts, and I've seen no problems whatsoever.

Woot!
We love happy endings...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 04 Mar 2012, 08:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

cant find the block of four relays. can u help?
Old 04 Mar 2012, 09:28 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBluePT View Post
I hate to highjack this thread but I just wanted to say sorry to hear about your wife getting laid off Chromenut.Hopefully things will work out for the best.
Thanks for the sentiment. I know this is a year old but I never replied. She got an excellent job starting at $45k/year with Aon-Hewitt, a high end insurance company for fortune 500 corporations. She's loving it, works from home one day a week, only has to go 13 miles total to get to work, Boss is remote so never see's her. Kind of hard to complain about any of that! Add to it, the best darned insurance we've ever had, I mean my monthly prescriptions (Xanax, heart, cholesterol, etc.) used to cost me around $54/month, now it's only $9/month!!!