Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Timing Belt Tensioner ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 31 Jan 2011, 09:29 am
Young Cruiser

Default Timing Belt Tensioner ?

A family emergency stopped me from completing the timing belt change for 2 weeks. Now that things have calmed down a little, I can try to spend about an hour each night to try to wrap this up.

I reinstalled the camshaft sprockets, aligned the timing marks and I treaded the new belt around everthing. I've been following the posted Tampa Racing link but I can't figure the step that involves "removing the pull pin on the tensioner"? Steps 5, 6 and 7. I don't see any pull pin on mine.

"INSTALLATION

5.Move the exhaust camshaft sprocket counterclockwise to align marks and take up belt slack. NOTE: A new tensioner is held in the wound position by a pull pin.
6.Remove the pull pin or Allen wrench from the belt tensioner.
7.Once the timing belt has been installed and tensioner released, rotate the crankshaft two (2) complete revolutions"

ever replace timing belt in a pt cruiser

I bought the Timing Belt Kit and received the Tensioner pictured in the attached file. Is there anything I have to do to this tensioner other than bolt it in an wrap the belt around it?

Appreciate the help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tensioner.jpg (31.5 KB, 141 views)
Old 31 Jan 2011, 09:03 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Re: Timing Belt Tensioner ?

Steve the timing belt tensioner should have come pre-loaded with a pull pin very similar to a grenade sticky out on the pulley side. If yours did not come with the pull pin you will need to pre tension the belt tensioner and secure the pulley in place with a small allen key. Without pre-tensioning the tensioner you will not be able to thread to the timing belt over the pulley.
In the picture you provided there is a small square hole in the one side of the belt pulley on the tensioner, you should be able to use a 1/4" or 3/8" rachet inserted in the square hole to pull on the pulley to tension it. It does require a bit of force and is probably easier to work with if you secure the tensioner to the engine block in place. Once you start pulling keep going the pulley will rotate and allow you to insert a small allen key into the hole on the pulley to lock it in place. Hope my description helps.
Old 01 Feb 2011, 01:38 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks for the info...

My question now is (in attached pic), do I align the notches on the Tensioner and tighten up the center bolt?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TensionerSettingPosition.jpg (88.2 KB, 183 views)
Old 02 Feb 2011, 06:32 am
Young Cruiser

Ok, no responses from that question. Let's try another picture... maybe a little clearer to see the notches.

My tensioner came with no instructions and I have not seen any explaination (searching) on this site on how to adjust it. The '03 FSM I downloaded from a UK site references the "non-upgraded" tensioner (old grenade pin style).

My question is: when you rotate the center of the Tensioner to apply pressure to the belt... do you stop when the notches are aligned? ... or continue past that point to its max travel position (max pressure)?

With the wealth of experience on this Site, I appreciate any help. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tensioner5.jpg (59.1 KB, 175 views)
Old 02 Feb 2011, 02:37 pm
Young Cruiser

Never mind... figured it out. My downloaded FSM had corrupted pages and that was the section that got junked. Downloaded a new copy.
Old 14 Sep 2012, 02:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

Any updates?

I am searching for the "Proper Tension", too.

Thanks......
Old 14 Sep 2012, 04:26 am
Young Cruiser

In my previous post with the picture of the tensioner (with the arrows)... the easiest way to describe it is... looking at the picture, tension it until the arrows overlap (visually, move the left arrow until its under the right arrow).

It wasn't bad... put everything back together and started right up. The "getting everything back together " part was the pain in the butt.

Hope this helps.
Old 14 Sep 2012, 11:08 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveG22 View Post
In my previous post with the picture of the tensioner (with the arrows)... the easiest way to describe it is... looking at the picture, tension it until the arrows overlap (visually, move the left arrow until its under the right arrow).

It wasn't bad... put everything back together and started right up. The "getting everything back together " part was the pain in the butt.

Hope this helps.
Thanks......
Old 14 Sep 2012, 04:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

how did you manage to get the passenger supporting engine mount off? I have an 03 turbo... and we are working towards changing the water pump and timing set up.
Old 14 Sep 2012, 05:51 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Just FYI- The 'pull pin' style was used on early '01's.
What's shown above is what people refer to as the 'litens' tensioner.

You could search Neons.org for the terms, they have about 1 million pics on these