Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
02 PT Radiator Leak

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Feb 2011, 03:23 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default 02 PT Radiator Leak

Hi all - New member here as I've been scouring the internet trying to find an answer to my questions. I have a very similar issue to first poster in this thread Coolant Leak at Radiator. First of all, there is a ever so small leak coming from the water pump. Once a month, if that, I have to top off the coolants reservoir's tank. Just yesterday while getting gas, there was a pretty steady light stream coming from the front passenger side, right near the battery case. My assumption after very little investigation is this it's coming from the radiator housing...possibly a gasket leak or pinhole somewhere as the poster "VNT" described. I see the actual instructions on eHow for the radiator replacement, but I have a few questions.

1) If I buy a new radiator, will it come with the fan unit attached, or will I just use the old one and attach it to the new radiator?
2) On average, what's the difficulty level for something like this and how long can I expect this to take? An hour or so? I am mechanically inclined, but have only done basic car repair.
3) Are there different types of radiators for the non-turbo edition? I will only need an OEM version, but I was wondering if there are different tranny types, manual vs auto.

Thanks for your help and any input/pics you can provide.
Old 01 Feb 2011, 08:18 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 02 PT Radiator Leak

Welcome to the forum. I'll try and help with some of your questions but first, I'm confused as to what you said" "light stream coming from the front passenger side, right near the battery case." The battery is on the drivers side, not the the passenger side so I take it you just meant the passenger side because that's where everything (timing belt water pump etc) is.

If you've never done the job before, give yourself at least 2 hours, very possibly more. You didn't give us any information about you cruiser so I'll take it you have an 2001-2005 model. I'll post my instructions on replacing the fan housing because that is a separate unit that will have to come off the old radiator and placed on the new one. There is a difference in newer PT's and PT's with a turbo so YES, get the exact radiator that's made for your vehicle. Example: 2001-2005 non-turbo.

As far as your tranny question, I'm not sure what you looking for or what that has to do with changing the radiator.

Here's the link that I wrote up for changing the fan housing. You basically have to follow these instructions to get the radiator out.

Removing the fan and housing 01-05 PT

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 02 Feb 2011, 01:15 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: 02 PT Radiator Leak

Thanks for your reply Crewzin. My mistake, I meant the leak is coming from the driver's side, underneath the battery case. As far as the wife's PT goes, it's a 2002 non-turbo. I will make sure to get the OEM radiator.

Any other possible road blocks I may run into when I tackle this?