Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
new plugs and wire help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Feb 2011, 10:24 am
Cool Cruiser

Default new plugs and wire help

i wanna get new, good plugs and wires. but i dont know what to get. i have the na 05 pt. what brand plugs should i get. i know double plats but what brand and what wires and size???
Old 01 Feb 2011, 10:45 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: new plugs and wire help

A lot of use the Champion Double Platinum #7570 gapped around .040in and as far as wires, almost anything is better than the OEM wires that came with the PT. 7mm is fine. Some say the less resistance in the wire the better but I've had (Mopar Performance and Granatelli) and haven't noticed a difference.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 01 Feb 2011, 10:56 am
Cool Cruiser

so if i can find a 8.5mm wire set id be good?
Old 01 Feb 2011, 11:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Sure, you just won't feel any difference and they probably cost more.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 01 Feb 2011, 12:28 pm
Cool Cruiser

i wanna feel a difference so what should i go with
Old 01 Feb 2011, 12:48 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunt41 View Post
i wanna feel a difference so what should i go with
New plugs & wires will NOT make you feel a difference. If you want to feel a difference you should have bought a GT. Sorry, but the PT is a "cruiser" NOT a hot rod. It may help with your mileage tho.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 01 Feb 2011, 01:14 pm
Regular Cruiser

Good point Hooligan. I wonder how many problems people have with their PT's are self induced by driving their cars like they are hotrods. I drive aggressively but try not to abuse my cars. We had an 02' for 8 years before it was totaled and had very few problems. It was daily driver and used for long trips as well. So far after 6 months with the "new", used 09' I expect the same reliability. PT's just aren't hotrods. The na has more than enough power for almost all driving conditions and the only time I ever felt it was underpowered was in the mountains in colorado and even then it wasn't that bad. I've owned a lot of cars since I started driving over 50 years ago and I rank the PT near the top, except for the mileage. However that is offset by the reliability and the "look". I wanted a PT from the very day I ever saw one and now we have owned two. I'm sorry Chrysler dropped the PT because if they had handled it differently I firmly believe it could have been a top seller for years to come.
Old 01 Feb 2011, 04:29 pm
Regular Cruiser

I bought the 8.5 mm MSD wires (cat #32689) and Champion double platinum plugs. Make sure to use dielectric grease. As stated above any wires are better than stock....
Old 01 Feb 2011, 04:50 pm
Senior Cruiser

I changed the wires+plugs on my friends PT Touring, and it did make a difference.

I'm not talking about a gain in performance or anything like that. His plugs+wires we're pretty old, and after changing them out and starting her up he said it idled much better (smoother) and accelerated just the same with that smoothness. I guess you can say he got back what he used to have.
Old 01 Feb 2011, 10:56 pm
Senior Cruiser

I put in Champion RE14MCC5 plugs (cause Chrysler says that's the plug to use, and it works fine--so why not, I said to myself while pondering why a Raven was like a Writing Desk, one day when I was really bored).

My wires were Bosch.

Forget the mm size of the wires--just get a set that is made specificallyfor the PT. The wires will then fit, no-brainer like.

However, don't put in Napa Blue Wires. I tried a set of them a month or so ago, and it was a bad joke. You have to push the dielectric-greased rubber boots onto the plugs until you hear a very noticeable "click" noise. Two of the Napa wires would not push (and I pushed VERY hard) all the way down to "clicking" position. In other words, they didn't fully seat. The instructions say to adjust the wire length by pushing the wire further down the boot--but that's impossible. I pushed and pushed--and they would not budge. I even pulled, just for fun--and it was a no-go.

So I brought them back to Napa, got my money back, and went to Autozone (a place I would ordinarily never buy electric components from). The Bosch wires they gave me pushed in like they were perfect lovers. I smiled lots when I heard the "clicks", believe me.

Now my PT idles a lot better, and I get all giggly and proud about the whole affair when I think back on it ....

Tim