Trunk Light Always On

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JohnGG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Feb 2011, 06:09 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Trunk Light Always On

Hello everyone,

I have been in search of answers for about a week now and kept coming back to this site so I am hoping someone can solve the frustration I am having with my 2005 4D PT Cruiser.

As I mentioned above, about a week ago my trunk light started to go on, the interior light turns on, the "bing" noise would sounds and if I was driving (not just about to stop) the door locks would go click. I would stop, get out and slam the back door shut, it worked for about a day. Now it doesn't matter how hard you slam it.

I though there might be something blocking the latch, so I cleaned out the area (there was nothing but a little bit of dust/dirt). I felt around the trunk door, the plastic pannel, the seal, everything is normal.

I read on this forum it could be a interior fuse so I pulled the fuse out #3 (20A) and took it to the local hardware store. The customer service person tested it and said it was fine, so I am back here looking for extra suggestion prior to taking it in. If its a couple buck fix compared to a couple hundred I would prefer that.

Right now I have my interior lights turned off by the dial and I put up with the bing noise but would prefer not to.

Suggestions?
Old 03 Feb 2011, 06:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Trunk Light Always On

If slamming the trunk/hatch worked for about a day, that that's surely the main problem. Not sure how exactly it works but apparently the latch isn't making good contact. Start there.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 03 Feb 2011, 06:49 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I just got in from trying something else: I decided to shut the trunk, lock the door, start the car, the light comes on, the interior light is still on. I got my daughter to come and try to open the trunk while it was locked; it did not open.

I unlocked the doors, she opened the trunk, shut the trunk. I locked the doors again; she could not open it.

So, really its not "open" or loose. Would it be just the senor and if so where is it located? Is resetting only an option on new model cars?

Sorry so many questions
Old 03 Feb 2011, 08:09 pm
Cool Cruiser

This happened to my PT recently,but, only once. It was after a big snow storm and I "think" there was some ice build up around the hatch & it didn't quite close all the way.
I forgot about it because it hasn't happened again. There must be a switch like on the other doors..maybe it can be adjusted? I'll check it tomorrow..unless we get the temps they are calling for.. -24C & high winds..AGAIN! Then I will check it in a couple of days for you...
Old 03 Feb 2011, 09:16 pm
Cool Cruiser

OK, I went to the All Data site; there is a switch..it's called "lift gate ajar switch". I can't find an actual picture of the location on the car,but, I have a sense that is what's causing your issue. There is also listed a switch for the alarm system that activates when any of the doors are opened...but it doesn't say if it's the same switch or a second one...it makes sense to me that it would be just the one...it would be similar to the one you can see under the hood near the firewall on the driver's side. All the info says is that's it a Black plug two wire...so it must be back there
It's too dark and COLD out there right now...I'll see if I can find it tomorrow....
Old 03 Feb 2011, 09:59 pm
Cool Cruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to XmasDVD

look here
ptdoityourself.net PTDIY.net - Technical Library - Category Index - Section Two

Look for 'Liftgate'

** CHECK OUT MY PT GALLERY **
Old 27 Mar 2014, 01:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

I started having the same problem today. I looked in the jack compartment found some kind black box 2inx3 in unplugged black box no more problem. I'm guessing this is a relay . Going to take to Auto parts store to find replacement.
Old 03 Aug 2016, 09:22 am
Fresh Cruiser

I recently had a similar problem with the "liftgate ajar" light lighting randomly on my 2001 PT Cruiser. It was even occurring AFTER I had disconnected the "ajar sensor" on the liftgate. Finally found that 5 wires were broken, one of them the liftgate ajar sensor wire, in the wire bundle that leaves the top of the liftgate and goes into the chassis. I suspect that those broken wires would randomly trigger. Inline spliced the wires and resealed the bundle. Everything looks good for now, although time will tell.