PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
loud ticking noise in my engine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08 Feb 2011, 12:38 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default loud ticking noise in my engine

2006 Chrysler Pt Cruiser non turbo 4 cyl, auto 125,000 miles
I have been chasing a loud ticking noise in my engine for about 60k miles now, first I put new lifters in it and that didnít help, drove it for a year ran good enough just noisy at idle, went to my machine shop asked him if I take this cars cylinder head to him can he fix whatís wrong. He listened with a stethoscope for a good 15 minutes then told me he believed the noise was coming from something in the fuel rail ( injectors ). So I replace the entire fuel rail and injectors with wiring harness from ebay. Now the car will not start even after putting all the original working before parts back in, it cranks over fires up for a second when fuel (throttle body cleaner) is sprayed down the throttle body which means it has spark for ignition. It also has good fuel volume and pressure at the fuel rail coupling and both fuel rails were cleaned before installing, it just is not getting electrical power to the injectors as far as I can see with a multimeter, I checked all the connectors for bent or crushed pins, I have checked the fuses under the hood all seems fine, I pulled the ECM it looks as though nothing is burnt anywhere under that resin coating. I have alldatadiy but canít seem to find help and searching through the forum threads isnít finding the same problem either. So please any ideas whatís wrong.
Old 08 Feb 2011, 09:07 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: loud ticking noise in my engine

I'm not familiar- one or 2 wires to each injector? I'm guessing that when you shuffled fuel rails, you lost a ground connection...

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 08 Feb 2011, 09:41 am
Veteran Cruiser

That doesn't make sense, if you're just R&R injectors, no reason it shouldn't run.

Theres the Green / Orange which feeds coil, injectors. Each injector is grounded by PCM individually to fire.

Did cam sensor get disconnected?

Injectors WILL make noise, lots of it.
Old 08 Feb 2011, 10:10 am
Fresh Cruiser

the injectors have 2 wires connected
Old 12 Feb 2011, 08:40 pm
Banned

Your ticking (snapping) sound problem is fixed by following the instructions in TSB # 09-007-04. I performed this fix on a couple of my customers cars and it worked just as discribed. To quote the TSB overview "This bulletin involves chamfering the bore radius on cam bearing caps L2 through L5 and R2 through R5." "SYMTOM/CONDITION: The sound may be noticed when the engine is idling in park between idle rpm and 1400 rpm at normal operating temperatures. The sound is on the upper end of the engine (cylinder head) towards the front of the engine or passenger side (right side). The sound is irregular, not periodic or harmonious. The frequency of the sound will increase with rpm. The sound is more of a higher pitch snapping noise, not a low metallic sound." END QUOTE

I'll try to post the print out I made years ago of the TSB tomorrow. I've got to figure out how to scan and then post it. I'm old and VERY computer stupid, so bear with me.

Jerry

Jerry
Old 12 Feb 2011, 08:41 pm
Banned

Your ticking (snapping) sound problem is fixed by following the instructions in TSB # 09-007-04. I performed this fix on a couple of my customers cars and it worked just as discribed. To quote the TSB overview "This bulletin involves chamfering the bore radius on cam bearing caps L2 through L5 and R2 through R5." "SYMTOM/CONDITION: The sound may be noticed when the engine is idling in park between idle rpm and 1400 rpm at normal operating temperatures. The sound is on the upper end of the engine (cylinder head) towards the front of the engine or passenger side (right side). The sound is irregular, not periodic or harmonious. The frequency of the sound will increase with rpm. The sound is more of a higher pitch snapping noise, not a low metallic sound." END QUOTE

I'll try to post the print out I made years ago of the TSB tomorrow. I've got to figure out how to scan and then post it. I'm old and VERY computer stupid, so bear with me.

Jerry