PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
04 Touring Edition engine stutter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Feb 2011, 05:44 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 04 Touring Edition engine stutter

Hey folks,

I have a 2004 Touring Edition. Having issues with the motor stuttering and at times almost stalling. Has 49K miles on it. I replaced the PCV valve as that was recommended on another forum. It seemed to have corrected some of the problem but now when idling, and when starting from a stop it gets really sluggish and had a hard time getting going.

It has also been really sluggish when starting in the morning. Almost as if it is overly cold.

I changed the cam shaft and crank shaft sensors on the same vehicle 2 years ago. Am not getting any codes right now either in the odometer or with OBDII.

Any thoughts? I 'm thinking maybe the EGR valve is sticking. But have no idea where it is on this model. Thanks beforehand for any suggestions.
Old 09 Feb 2011, 05:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 04 Touring Edition engine stutter

Welcome from Florida to where ever you are.
When is the last time you changed plugs &/or wires?

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 09 Feb 2011, 05:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hey Hooligan, I'm in Northern California.

And to answer your question, I have not changed the plugs or wires yet. 49K miles on the car. But it is 7 years old. Do you think this could be the culprit? If so any recommendations on any specific wires or plugs.

Also is it difficult to replace the iwres and plugs? Do I ahve to get under the vehicle or can it all be done from up top?

Last edited by mahgninnuc93; 09 Feb 2011 at 06:14 pm.
Old 09 Feb 2011, 06:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

If it is a NA (none turbo) you can use the plugs listed in my signature or Champion 7570. If you look in the performance section there is a Sticky on how to change them. Get the best wires you can afford other than OEM's they are crap.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 09 Feb 2011, 06:27 pm
Cool Cruiser

Welcome from Ontario Canada! You can change both from the front of the car. Don't buy factory wires, a lot of people here say they don't last very long.
I think you are overdue for wires. You need to remove the intake to change the plugs...not difficult just a bit of extra time. I would run a can of Sea Foam through it also. it will clean your injectors and engine.
Old 09 Feb 2011, 06:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Hooligan and Blade. ON the way to the auto parts store now! What is Sea Foam if I may ask. So I can tell them when I get to Kragen.
Old 09 Feb 2011, 06:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

And you think this would help with the stutter and harsh starts? Probably needs to be done anyways. Thanks M8
Old 09 Feb 2011, 08:10 pm
Cool Cruiser

It's an engine treatment that many swear by..me included! I would put it in my coffee if I could..
I have used it in my PT, lawn tractor, snowblower, my gas trimmer, my other lawn mower (4 stroke) and one of my GoldWings that I got last fall. And I will be using it in my other wing when I get it on the road.
My wing would only run with the choke on 3/4, well it would idle but not rev without sputtering & back-firing. After the very first Sea Foam treatment it ran 100 rpm less at idle and 1/4 choke! This is an '84 1200 Standard GoldWing that only has 53KM on it and had sat for a while..in fact the PO told me he had it for 12 yrs and only put 2K on it! So, the carbs were a bit gummed up. Sea Foam also has a trans product..my PT was a bit "lazy" coming back down from passing gear....I put 1/3 can of the trans stuff in it and it cleared that up in one day! Then I went and had the trans flushed..works perfect now It really is great stuff..safe for any engine/trans & won't hurt any type of seals

Last edited by BladeRunner; 09 Feb 2011 at 08:14 pm.
Old 09 Feb 2011, 08:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thanks Blade, will try that out. Do you just add to the crankcase or oil> I could just read the dang instructions

Again I appreciate all the assist. DO you think the plugs and wires will fix the stutter or should I also check the EGR valve?
Old 09 Feb 2011, 08:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahgninnuc93 View Post
thanks Blade, will try that out. Do you just add to the crankcase or oil> I could just read the dang instructions

Again I appreciate all the assist. DO you think the plugs and wires will fix the stutter or should I also check the EGR valve?
You could replace the EGR valve as well. It is just a plug in, if you remove it, shake it and if it rattles, it is still OK!!!!!!