Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Radiator Probems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10 Feb 2011, 05:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Radiator Probems

Hello all. I'm needing help please. I have a 2003 PTGT that from day one when I bought it I can smell coolant. I blew one radiator at the seems a few years ago right after the warranty went up and now it looks like this radiator is leaking at the seems too. Dealer can't tell me whats wrong.
The car, 2003 PT GT, out of warranty. No timing belt niose. I had the radiator psi checked and seems to be ok. No oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil. Has a brand new coolant cap. Every thing has been working fine, but the radiator. The temp has been good, heat has been working. Someone told me that there is too much psi in the system, but can't see why. Any one have any ideas would be appreciated.. Thanks
Old 10 Feb 2011, 06:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Radiator Probems

A little confusing, at least on my understanding. You say it looks like the radiator is leaking at the seams but the dealer couldn't find any leak? Everything is working fine and you didn't say anything about overheating.

So I take it your only problem is that your seeing it leak? Are you having to add coolant to the radiator or overflow bottle? How much and how often, if you are.

Easy thing to do is take it to a shop with a pressure guage. It attaches to the top of the radiator where the cap is. They pump pressure into the system and if there's a leak it will forced out enough so you can see it. You would think the dealer would have done it.

P.S. whoever told you there's too much PSI in the system ....stay away from them.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 10 Feb 2011, 06:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

No over heating. I can never keep any thing in the overflow, in fact I haven't put any coolant in the overflow for a year and the radiator is still full. Right now it's very cold in IL. and I can see steem on the driver side top seem of the radiator with some coolant. most of the time I can smell coolant, but never see it. Thank you for your re.
Old 10 Feb 2011, 06:45 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJCUSA1 View Post
Thank you for your re.

Must really be cold, you froze up before you finished your last sentence.

No coolant in the overflow, you should be overheating. Lucky your not. Still say to get it to a shop with a pressure guage and see it that helps find the leak.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 10 Feb 2011, 07:27 pm
Cool Cruiser

It kinda sounds like you have a leak in your head gasket; That would push fluid out of the system..but it must be very small..(if at all) for you to see /smell coolant and not have to add any???
Old 10 Feb 2011, 07:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

See, I don't know. Everyone keeps telling me different things about this and I don't know where to start. I looked into all the small things to fix, but now I guess it's the $$ to fix next.
Old 10 Feb 2011, 07:46 pm
Cool Cruiser

Well, don't panic; I mean, if you have been driving it for a year and haven't had to add coolant..it can't be leaking much..if at all. It is strange that your overflow bottle is always empty. If you have had work done to the cooling system in the past there may be air trapped in there...like it wasn't properly purged. It's hard to say over the internet. Find a mechanic you can trust and see what he thinks.
Old 10 Feb 2011, 07:55 pm
Cool Cruiser

Now that I think about it, have you had the rad cap tested? They can leak if the seal is no good, that would explain the smell and the appearance of coolant around the rad..just a thought?
Old 10 Feb 2011, 07:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

First posting says he has a brand new coolant cap.

Old 10 Feb 2011, 08:15 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Just got a new cap yesterday.. This has been going on since I bought the car.