Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Overheating at Idle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Feb 2011, 02:35 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Overheating at Idle

I have enough knowledge of this overheating problem that it scares me. I have had three fans replaced in 2 years. First one went bad, 2nd one bearings were shot and third one shop told us that the fan was fine and it was probably a problem with the PCM. I have replaced both relays (although old ones tested fine) and also wired direct to battery on the high side of the fan, but now having same prob with A/C causing rough idle and blowing warm. We can always tell when it is going to start running hot because the ambient temp sensor starts going berserk. Showed 140 today - actual temp was only 65. Fan still running on high wired direct to battery. Only happens when driving or idle. Engine starts to overheat. Has anyone heard of any of this being related to the PCM? I have replaced radiator, thermostat, adjusting timing, new plugs, plug wires, battery, battery wiring harness motor mounts and wheel bearings all in the last 18 months. I think I have officially paid more for repairs since I bought it than what I paid for it, but love it still all the same. I am not a mechanic, just mechanically inclined

P.S. - I started reading the threads about changing the motor mounts and wound up here.

2002 PT Cruiser (Dreamcruiser)
145,000 miles
2.4L
Old 11 Feb 2011, 06:58 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Overheating at Idle

You said it's overheating while at idle in the title of your thread but then said it overheats while driving. The computer shuts off the fan when your over 35mph and the main thing causing overheating while driving is a cracked head or head gasket. That needs to be checked out.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 11 Feb 2011, 07:38 am
Regular Cruiser

Check your radiator cap as well. If it is not totally sealing off your coolant system, then it cannot fully pressurize and the coolant will boil and burn off at a lot lower temp. Thus your car overheats.
Old 11 Feb 2011, 08:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry about that Crewzin, overheat at idle. It was late when I posted. I have bypassed the computer by wiring the fan direct on high speed. It does not happen all the time either, no pattern to go by, that is what is so confusing. I have had the compression tests and the "strip test" done, but nothing there. Oil still looks good, not losing any coolant. I am completely stumped. Picking up new fan this weekend because I had to cut the pigtail to wire old fan direct as a temp fix. going to try a few other diagnostics including changing the ambient air temperature sensor as I suspect that could have something to with fan control as well. Will post results as I can. Any other input is still appreciated.
Old 11 Feb 2011, 08:33 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

There's small list of things to check when overheating at idle and the fan is on the top of that list. Will wait till you put the new one in before starting on the others. When you do put it in, make sure you top off the radiator and overflow bottle and the biggest thing is to bleed the system of any excess air.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 11 Feb 2011, 08:46 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

to you notice like a blueish/white light smoke coming out of your tail pipe? if so your head might be cracked.

Tags
ac probelms, overheating