Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Cruiser Died

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Feb 2011, 08:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Cruiser Died

I have a 2006 PT Cruiser, I am the original owner. Unfortunately it has 170,000 miles since I drive 70 miles round trip to work every day. The other day it just quit in the middle of the road. It will crank slowly but won't start. We have a new battery, starter, and alternator so we know those are good. it also has spark so we know it's getting fire but it just won't turn over. It has plenty of gas and we checked all the fault codes as well. The only light on the dash flashing is the check engine light. I am afraid the brain or something major has happened to my old friend. Any ideas?
Old 11 Feb 2011, 08:20 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Cruiser Died

Has the timing belt ever been changed?I would hope so with that many miles but I have seen cars go longer on the original belt.
Old 11 Feb 2011, 08:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum.

If the engine light is flashing, there's critical fault somewhere and even if you could start it up, it's advisable not to run the car. SCBluePT asked the most important question, was the timing belt ever changed?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 11 Feb 2011, 08:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question Re: Cruiser Died

Nope, haven't even thought of the timing belt. Will check that first thing tomorrow.
Old 11 Feb 2011, 08:38 pm
Cool Cruiser

timing belt is what it sounds like to me.
Old 11 Feb 2011, 08:50 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

welcome to the forum. Greetings from San Antonio from Eve(07 Touring Ed) and I.
You know your issue sounds like an issue that some one else had but that was when they went on a long trip. Since you drive that far everyday i don't know if it would be the same thing. I would check the timing belt, like how everyone says. but then again i'm not to mechanically inclined when it comes to the engine. my thing is brakes and bolt on's.
Old 11 Feb 2011, 09:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

thanks for all the info. From what I am gathering so far, it may prob be the timing belt. That baby has seen me through many storms the past 5 1/2 years and I hate to see her put out to pasture over something small so you all have been a great help!
Old 11 Feb 2011, 10:41 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

well Mom If you got 170,000 out of the PT with the same timing belt you are a verry lucky lady the job will be around $1000 but it is way worth it if the car has been maintained you wont find another good used car for that money
Old 11 Feb 2011, 11:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yep, my old baby has 170,000 miles of good performance (and the same timing belt) without hardly any problems whatsoever until now. I bought her new off the lot and through regular maintenance she has lasted this long without any major repairs. The only problems I have even had til now is going through windshield wipers like they are nothing! $1000 is a whole lot cheaper than a new vehicle that's for sure.
Old 11 Feb 2011, 11:20 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomsCruser View Post
Yep, my old baby has 170,000 miles of good performance (and the same timing belt) without hardly any problems whatsoever until now. I bought her new off the lot and through regular maintenance she has lasted this long without any major repairs. The only problems I have even had til now is going through windshield wipers like they are nothing! $1000 is a whole lot cheaper than a new vehicle that's for sure.
That's the spirit.Invest the $1000 and hope for 170,000 more miles.