Advertisements
04 EGR Valve issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Feb 2011, 06:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 04 EGR Valve issues

Hey folks,
2004 Touring non turbo with 49K miles.

I THINK I have my problem narrowed down to EGR valve. 04 Cruiser non turbo Touring Edition.
Was sputtering and had difficulty accelerating. Especially uphill. Replaced plugs, wires and PCV valve. Still having the issue. Only now it seems to have gotten a bit worse. A friend recommended taking the EGR valve out and cleaning it with WD-40. Said he has done this on another Chrysler and it worked fine.He did change the gasket and put a new one on prior to putting the EGR valve back.
Could the gasket be going bad and not giving a good seal? Would this affect the performance as I stated above. First has anyone heard of doing this and second where is the darn thing

I found pictures online but they are conflicting. Any help would be appreciated. This is wife's car and she is getting nervous about driving it.
Old 13 Feb 2011, 06:21 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 04 EGR Valve issues

Follow the hose from the bottom of the air box to the valve cover that end plugs into the EGR valve, shake it, if it rattles, its ok. They don't cost that much at a auto store.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 13 Feb 2011, 06:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

OK Do have a engine lite on ? IF YES , You need to pull the code. take your key put it in the ignition and go back & forth like your gonna start the car 3 times and you will see a code on the last forth leave it forward code will show where you milage is displayed write that code down and look on this form to see what issue you have. good luck
Old 13 Feb 2011, 06:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Olive, no codes.
Hooligan, do you mean under the air filter on the drivers side of the motor? Just want to make sure b4 I take it apart. And can I shake it with it installed or do I have to pull it?
Old 13 Feb 2011, 06:42 pm
Senior Cruiser

look up a sticky for changing plugs and you'll find pictures. one of them has a perfect shot of what you are looking for. at least that is where it is on my 2002 na.
Old 13 Feb 2011, 06:47 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Checked it Soy,

There is NOTHING that looks like the EGR valve posted in that picture # 5.

There is however a spot where you can see it it was there where it would belong. I wonder if A: this model even has one or B: The darn thing fell off somehow. Would the car even run without it?
Old 13 Feb 2011, 06:47 pm
Banned

mahnin, There is no EGR on the 04 PTs. They stopped putting them on our motors in 03.

Hooligan you're talking about the PCV valve, but it doesn't go to the air cleaner box. It's hose goes back into the intake manifold. The hose that goes into the air cleaner box runs from the "other" fitting at the end of the valve cover.

Jerry
Old 13 Feb 2011, 06:51 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The valve on the valve cover is the PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation). That's the one that rattles if it's working properly.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 13 Feb 2011 at 06:55 pm.
Old 13 Feb 2011, 06:54 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Jerry, I was going nuts looking for it. Any idea what could be causing the stuttering and sluggish behavior then. I have changed the PCV, plugs and wires. Use Sea-Foam 2 days ago in both the crankcase and the fuel.

It seems to have gotten worse since doing those things. I did chance the cam-shaft sensor two years ago as well as the crank sensor.

IT will be running along fine then when I try to accelerate it kind of lurches like its starving, may shudder then pulls out of it. Starting has been like the car is in constant cold temperatures for the last week.
Old 13 Feb 2011, 06:55 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I will go look for it Crewzin. And if it is there can it become unstuck and work properly by spraying it with WD-40 or do I have to replace the thing. I"m out of work and don't have much spare cash sitting around for another few weeks