Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Antifreeze: whats the diff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13 Feb 2011, 10:45 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Antifreeze: whats the diff

I am a new owner of a '07 PT and new to the forum. I have read alot of posts here and am very impressed with the wealth of knowledge and how-to articles. I thought I'd throw something in here that made me think....Hmmmm.

My question is:

I am about to flush and refill my cooling system since I have no idea when it was done last. I am also going to replace the thermostat. Now, I have read here that only HOAT type antifreeze should be used in the system as other varieties can clog the system or destroy the seals. This is also stated in the manual. BUT, if I completely flush the system of old coolant, why should it matter what type of antifreeze I should refill it with. Old school Prestone green stuff or Dex-Cool. I dont understand how other types of antifreeze can clog a radiator or damage the seals. Is Chrysler using a different type of aluminum in it's radiators or a different rubber compound in it's seals that is so different from what Chevy, Ford, Toyota or others are using. Maybe this has already been asked. I dont know. Just asking.
Old 13 Feb 2011, 11:15 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Antifreeze: whats the diff

it is the chemical reaction to the metals or what is used as metals that are used in the radiator and the engine and the water pump

it has something to do with he chemicals that are in the dex col and what is formulated in the HOAt you can get Zerek G 5 for a few dollars more and it is what is recommended
Old 13 Feb 2011, 11:23 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I'm not complaining. I have no problem using what is recommended and that is what I'm going to do. I'm just curious about why the materials used to build the cooling system are so different from other car manufacturers that nothing else can be used.
Old 14 Feb 2011, 02:30 am
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmh772 View Post
I'm not complaining. I have no problem using what is recommended and that is what I'm going to do. I'm just curious about why the materials used to build the cooling system are so different from other car manufacturers that nothing else can be used.
Cuz that's how Chrysler get's you. lol jk, i love Chrysler. Welcome to the site, greetings from San Antonio from Eve(07 Touring Ed) and I.
Old 14 Feb 2011, 08:48 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I kno0w Kid was kind of joking but in reality he is right they did it because they can and you can use what ever you want and a lot of shops will tell you it does not matter and I was like that till i saw a radiator come out of a PT that looked worse than the one in my1978 1 ton and the owner had changed to prestone

its pretty much a "Because I/Chrysler say So"

I think it is more the water pump and radiator materials than the block
Old 14 Feb 2011, 11:29 am
Senior Cruiser

If you can't find it by you, you get it here with free shipping

Approved Vendor ZXGO5RU1 Antifreeze/Coolant

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 15 Feb 2011, 02:37 am
Senior Cruiser

Chrysler also says to put 5W30W oil into my PT. I don't ask why. I just put the stuff in that was engineered to be put in. I just figure I'm the only one that will suffer if I don't pay an extra few bucks for Mopar 5-year HOAT antifreeze.

By the way, I went 7 years and 70,000 miles without changing my original Mopar HOAT. And when I took it out it still looked pretty good.

Seven years ain't bad ....

I would suspect, however, that there is something about the materials used in the PT's radiator that require their special formula.

Likewise, ATF+4 is the only auto trans. fluid that I will have in my PT--cause Chrysler says to use that only for reasons that are not my concern ....

Tim