Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
She's too hot...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15 Feb 2011, 11:52 am
Fresh Cruiser

Exclamation She's too hot...

First, some backgroud info. I have a 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring Edition, with a manual transmission, with approximately 133,000 miles. So yesterday I was driving near Texas Motor Speedway and came to a stop and saw a ton of steam looking substance coming from the car and could smell what I believe is radiator fluid. I pull over to a gas station and look at the temperature gauge and it shows that it's at a normal running temperature. Yet it's still steaming like a 1890 steam engine. Anyways, I talked to a family member and he said he believes it's the temperature sending unit, (since the fan isn't kicking on). Basically, I just wanted to know what y'all thought about the issue, and if it is the TSU how much would it cost or if I can do it myself how hard will it be to replace.
Thanks,
Ron
Old 15 Feb 2011, 12:00 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: She's too hot...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgolson View Post
First, some backgroud info. I have a 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring Edition, with a manual transmission, with approximately 133,000 miles. So yesterday I was driving near Texas Motor Speedway and came to a stop and saw a ton of steam looking substance coming from the car and could smell what I believe is radiator fluid. I pull over to a gas station and look at the temperature gauge and it shows that it's at a normal running temperature. Yet it's still steaming like a 1890 steam engine. Anyways, I talked to a family member and he said he believes it's the temperature sending unit, (since the fan isn't kicking on). Basically, I just wanted to know what y'all thought about the issue, and if it is the TSU how much would it cost or if I can do it myself how hard will it be to replace.
Thanks,
Ron

The fans are a known problem in PT's you can pick them up cheap enough and we have instructions on the forum. Your fan should have two speeds

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=pt+...tor+fan&_rdc=1

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by Dino; 15 Feb 2011 at 12:03 pm.
Old 15 Feb 2011, 12:01 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

i would say it is the fan go to ebay and get a new one they are about $100 its a easy install and remember the PT have some heads that are easy to warp
Old 15 Feb 2011, 02:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Temp gauge was fine? That's good.
Next is to determine source of steam - seems there's a leak.
At 133,000 miles, hope the timing belt and water pump have been replaced....

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 15 Feb 2011, 03:29 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I agree with everyone sort of. Most PT's overheat because of the fan. one or both speeds burn out but usually the temperature gauge shows HOT (in the red) and very little steam and like QSD just said, you have to find out where the steam is coming from. Not sure where your family member got his information but the Temp sending unit rarely goes bad. Not saying it can't but the car will steam from a small hole in the radiator, radiator hose, heater hose or a dozen other places and the PT won't show overheating until you've lost enough water (from the steam escaping). So, two things. Find where the steam is coming from and see if your fan is turning (hard to see but can be heard on high speed really easy.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 15 Feb 2011, 06:17 pm
Cool Cruiser

I see many say to get a fan from e-bay. I've seen quite a few on there, from 10"~14". None of them say they are two speed that I have seen.
I seem to have a different issue going on. No overheating,but, the fan comes on when the gauge is just starting to come up..at about 1/4 on the gauge.
It cycles off/on every 5 mins or so while it's warming up. What does that indicate?
It is surprising to me as the temps outside here are VERY cold.
I have 220K (km) on my'01 LTD w/o turbo auto trans and it starts and runs fine, even surprises me how fast it accelerates going onto hiway on ramps.
Old 15 Feb 2011, 06:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I may be wrong here but what I see from the schematic of the engine cooling fan system, the motor for the fan is only one speed and weather it goes on low or high depends on the PCM and the two different relays.

As far as fan coming on and off; when your heating the PT up do you have the controls so the air defrosts the front window? If you do, that air is being pushed through the compressor so you have dryer air and it won't fog up the insides of the car. When the compressor is on, the fan will cycle on and off with the timing of the compressor.

P.S. I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels the N/A PT has enough power for any kind of driving and will keep up with 99.9% of the traffic.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 15 Feb 2011 at 06:29 pm.
Old 15 Feb 2011, 06:41 pm
Cool Cruiser

I have had the defrost on,but, not always..it seems to be the same if it's just interior heat too. However, I do have the recirculate switched to recirculate, will the compressor still run in that instance?
As far as power, I've never tried a turbo...so I can't compare;
What I can say...I see some surprised looks when I really step on it, it will spin up to nearly 5K if I keep my foot in it.....I have no trouble getting onto the hiway, or passing at will
Old 15 Feb 2011, 08:32 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

No, recirculate won't do anything but change which way the air is used (outside or inside). Can't say why the fan would go on and off if the compressor wasn't involved. Maybe just the way the computer is set up with the heat of the engine. Reach a particular temperature and the fan comes on, it cools off and the fan goes off.

Old 15 Feb 2011, 09:50 pm
Cool Cruiser

OK, thanks CREWZIN....I'll just keep an eye on it

Tags
overheating, radiator, temperature sending unit