Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
A/C Evaporator Repair? Avg. Costs?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17 Feb 2011, 03:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Send a message via MSN to CaPTuredCruiser
Red face A/C Evaporator Repair? Avg. Costs?

I have a 2001 PT Cruiser LE...

Last year, my air went from cold (on the first dial setting) to luke-warm on the highest A/C dial setting. I took it to a local repair shop (which I heard did excellent work from co-workers). Well, they recharged my A/C, which helped for about a month, they told me it was probably my compressor, and if the cooling problem kept up, I would need to replace the compressor as a precautionary so I didn't let it get to the point where the evaporator started to leak and it needed replacing. So, I had the compressor replaced along with the standard components for a little over $600.

Just over 2 months after the repair, the air started blowing less than cool again. They did a recharge for no cost. Then said it was more than likely the evaporator going out. They gave me a quote back then of roughly $830
to replace the evaporator + labor.

Would it be possible to just keep recharging the A/C until I can afford the new evaporator, or would this cause more problems?

Also, if any of you are in the Ocala - North Central, FL area, do you know of any good, reasonable repair shops? I'm just a single mom looking for someone who isn't going to rip me off or say they repaired something when all they did was put more freon in.

I would greatly appreciate and tips or referrals to any repair facilities. Thanks!
Old 17 Feb 2011, 05:00 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: A/C Evaporator Repair? Avg. Costs?

I'm 30 minutes S/W of you in Lecanto, Citrus County. Sorry to say, but just guessing, you've already been ripped off even though your co-workers sent you there. I take mine to "Ice Cold Air" a franchise specializing in A/C but they do other work. Women and sometimes men who go to a shop and have no clue what the problem is can be taken advantage of very easily.

That first shop should have done tests and not let you go with "it's probably this or that". If they know what they're doing, they should have diagnosed the real problem. Ice Cold Air will do a free systems check and you don't have to have the work done and you can take it elsewhere for a second opinion.

To answer your question on the thread; the evaporator repair is probably the biggest job of the entire A/C system. A good part of the dash has to come out to install a new one. If they can talk you into that, they have made a big score because 8/10 of the lob is labor (pure icing on the cake). One more thing. Are yo smelling coolant when the A/C is used and are you seeing any wet spots on the carpet on the passenger side? They are tel-tale signs of the evaporator going bad.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 17 Feb 2011 at 05:08 pm.
Old 18 Feb 2011, 07:45 am
Regular Cruiser

try changing the pressure switch on top of the condenser(i think). crewzin advised me of this awhile back. my a/c started working again normally. funny thing about shops though. took mine in awhile back to a shop to have a/c checked over. same symptoms as you. my neighbor is a mechanic and he came over to help me with my timing belt. we noticed on the passenger side by the a/c stuff a wire was unplugged from a green socket thingy. plugged it back in and a/c working to this day. i doubt it "accidentally" came unplugged. watch who u take your stuff to and always get a second opinion. just sayin
Old 18 Feb 2011, 01:22 pm
Veteran Cruiser

A mechanic friend told me he uses AC leak dye, takes a blacklight and aims it at the drain on the lower passenger's firewall.

As suggested, you'd figure they'd use appropriate troubleshooting techniques,
not throw parts at it.

Never done the dash in a PT, but most cars are the suck.
It'd make sense to replace the heater core, as well.
Ensure they don't use 'lowest bidder' parts!!!!!!!!!
Old 29 Jun 2011, 02:45 am
Fresh Cruiser

I suggest you replace them if the troubleshooting or the cleaning doesn't make it any better.
Old 29 Jun 2011, 06:36 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hey, going back to this thread, I'm having the same problem. Been asking around, hoping to get something here.

Where can I get an evaporator?? The insides of my car are in heat..
Old 29 Jun 2011, 06:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_smith2985 View Post
Hey, going back to this thread, I'm having the same problem. Been asking around, hoping to get something here.

Where can I get an evaporator?? The insides of my car are in heat..
Hey! I'm a newbie here.. getting some ideas for tires and stuff, I happen to pass by this thread to share info. I got my a/c evaporator from this trusted source. Mine I got for $70. Still depends.
Old 29 Jun 2011, 06:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

A lot of us use RockAuto Auto Parts for parts. The evaporator goes for about $77.00

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 29 Jun 2011 at 06:59 pm.
Old 16 Apr 2012, 11:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hi There, I have 2 PT Cruisers one 2005 and one 2006. The 2006 one I have replaced the LP Switch and the radiator fan motor and now I find out that I have a leak in the Evaporator core. I bought the replacement at Rock Auto for $70 but will need to do most of the tear down of the dash myself anybody have any tips?
Old 16 Apr 2012, 11:11 am
Obsessed Cruiser

This might help a little bit.

How to: 2007 stereo removal and dash speaker install.