Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Help with re-manufactured ECM Computer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Feb 2011, 09:37 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Help with re-manufactured ECM Computer

I have a 2001 Pt Cruiser with 48,000 miles. We bought the car and discovered that it has a re-manufactured ECM. The check engine light came on shortly after we purchased the car. The code on the computer was a P0201 injector 1 control circuit open. After doing a continuity check of the circuitry leading to injector 1 it was determined that there was good continuity and that the ECM was at fault. We looked on eBay and found a company called SOLO Auto Electronics and purchased a re-manufactured ECM from them. Seemed like a good deal for $200 at the time considering that the local chain auto part stores were asking $500 for the same part. We received the re-manufactured ECM and installed it per the instructions of the supplier and within 5 minutes of the car running the check engine light came on with a code P0601 which would be an internal computer error. We returned the ECM and just received another on from the same supplier. Installed that ECM and came out with the same PO601 error code. I then re-installed the ECM that came with the car and the P0201 error code returned, but not the P0601. It would seem to me that the ECM's that I have received from SOLO might be flawed? Is this a common problem with re-manufactured ECM's, any help would be appreciated.
Old 19 Feb 2011, 09:55 am
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Help with re-manufactured ECM Computer

Sorry to heard that my friend! My father just to say that mistakes cost money! First call Chrysler and give your vin number to make sure what is the part number in the CPU that you need for that car! Then go to Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market is a search engine in all USA for parts! I got a GT computer yesterday for $125.00 with 6 mo of warranty from there! I found the same one in Ebay for $385.00 I hope this will help! Good luck!
Old 19 Feb 2011, 10:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: Help with re-manufactured ECM Computer

Thanks for the reply! I did go to Car-Part.com and spoke with a guy at Atlantic Used Auto Parts and he told me that the ECM in these vehicles are VIN specific and that if I purchased a used ECM from a junk yard that it would have to be programmed with a DRB scan tool at a dealership to input the VIN and mileage. I also got the same story from SOLO who I purchased the re-manufactured ECM from them. You give SOLO the VIN and mileage and the ECM arrives programmed. The trouble that I am having with the two ECM's that were sent to me is that I am getting the same P0601 code that I didn't have before with the ECM that was in the vehicle originally. I am hoping that someone may have had a remanufactured ECM issue story similar to mine. Thanks again.