Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Bolt on parts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19 Feb 2011, 11:22 pm
Cool Cruiser

Default Bolt on parts

Are there any easy bolt on parts to help out a car? I don't mean like a whole super charger kit but different parts that would help get Bette gas mileage? Also I was looking for something that would make the exhaust sound louder.
Old 19 Feb 2011, 11:35 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Bolt on parts

well as far as MPG's go no not really sorry btu there isnt anything to help other than the basic
over inflate the tires Keep it around 65mph
make sure you have a good aftermarket set of plugs and wires the stock wires are JUNK from the factory
maybe a K&N air filter
synthetic oil

if it is a turbo don't boost in 4Th ( I have no idea why but i have heard it said a lot of times)

as far as the exhaust if its a turbo you can take the muffler off and run a straight pipe or a old school cherry bomb

if a Non turbo you need back pressure so maybe a flowmaster

hope this helps
Old 19 Feb 2011, 11:43 pm
Regular Cruiser

when i took my whole exhaust off it threw codes its a 2003 ptgt five speed so i put it back on any reason it threw a check engine light. and also i just got the car it has 100.000 miles not sure what type of oil they put in it before but would it be ok to switch it over to sythitic and what wires should i use on the car it throwing i cy mis fire 4.
Old 19 Feb 2011, 11:47 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsptgt View Post
when i took my whole exhaust off it threw codes its a 2003 ptgt five speed so i put it back on any reason it threw a check engine light. and also i just got the car it has 100.000 miles not sure what type of oil they put in it before but would it be ok to switch it over to sythitic and what wires should i use on the car it throwing i cy mis fire 4.
Welcome to the forum mattsptgt.You took the whole exhaust off?
Old 19 Feb 2011, 11:59 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

ive noticed with the echarger running and the dual fan fuel saver back in my pipe, if i keep the rpms between 2k to 3k that it saves on gas, but i don't know if it would be the same w/o tho's "improvements".
Old 20 Feb 2011, 03:10 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Bolt Off Parts!

Not using the rear seats?
all that junk in the trunk?
Chrysler estimates 1MPG per each 100 lbs lost.

There's tons of minor things you could do, wideband oxygen sensors trick the PCM into running leaner at cruise.

Michelin has been into low rolling resistance tires for years, others offer this, too.

If it's a manual, the 3.55 is a direct swap and CHEAP, I don't know if the 2.4 has enough torque to pull it in 5th, though.

The newest vehicles have a start/stop feature, it simply (probably not) shuts
the engine off at stoplights. This yields radical savings for stop/go driving!
It restarts quickly when gas is pressed.

Cruiser dad is right on, slow down, read up on hypermiler hints- if you're
wearing out brakes you're using too much gas!!!!
Old 20 Feb 2011, 06:24 pm
Banned

Cruiserdad, it's recommended to not boost in overdrive, because the overdrive is just that. It's only function is meant to be for cruising at speed and as a result it was built with clutch assemblies that that can't take the torque of our turbos or even some of our higher horse N/As hitting all of a sudden. It's simply not made to be used in that manner. It's made for cruisng and when used correctly, it does a great job. The clutches will slip and that produces heat. Next either the clutches give up or the drum that they are contacting breaks up. Either will result in a tranny rebuild. There is a guy called AJ over at "The Crew" that used to do a HD rebuild of these 41te's, but he's been so busy for years that I don't think he does our trannys anymore. "Thier" over at "The Crew" has one of his rebuilds and has the third fastest (if I remember correctly) time on "ksquared11s" fastest times list. In the very low 12's and he's even running the infamous "Phantom grip" for a long time now, with no problems at all. Believe he beats up on his auto and it has held up fine, but even he doesn't boost in overdrive.

Jerry
Old 20 Feb 2011, 06:48 pm
Banned

Also, I've heard a Flowmaster on an N/A twice in the years I've been dealing with Pt's and going to PT shows. Both of the owners said that the Flowmasters were coming off asap. They both started them up for me and I swear you could hear them blocks away. Probably make your brain bleed if you drove them very far.

Jerry
Old 20 Feb 2011, 07:24 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwpptc View Post
Also, I've heard a Flowmaster on an N/A twice in the years I've been dealing with Pt's and going to PT shows. Both of the owners said that the Flowmasters were coming off asap. They both started them up for me and I swear you could hear them blocks away. Probably make your brain bleed if you drove them very far.

Jerry
THAT IS FREAKING SWEET. I've gotta Super 44 at home waiting to be installed. HAHAHAHAHAHA I CAN'T WAIT!!!!
Old 20 Feb 2011, 07:30 pm
Veteran Cruiser

note on mufflers, the best 330' time on Neon was with the stock DOHC muffler- I couldn't find a difference w/ or w/o a muffler, and the muffler is 20lbs off the rear bumper.
Relative to WOT 7500 RPM, @ cruise backpressure is insignificant.