Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Folding mirrors help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Feb 2011, 10:39 am
Young Cruiser

Default Folding mirrors help

Hi, I have a 2001 2.0 LE and all of a sudden, when I flick the switch to fold in the side/wing mirrors, only one turns in. The electric motors for the mirror glass adjustment works for both sides however. I've undone the three hex bolts that are located on the underside of the mirror, but that doesn't help much and I can't see a way of getting inside the plastic casing. Anybody come across somenthing similar?
Old 22 Feb 2011, 10:54 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Folding mirrors help

In my manual it states that the motor for retracting mirrors is inside the mirror assembly. If the motor went bad, then the entire mirror needs replacing as you cannot service the motor alone. To remove the mirror you have to remove the 3 screws on the door pillar and then disconnect the plug connection behind the door panel, which must also come off.
Old 22 Feb 2011, 12:07 pm
Senior Cruiser

i've got them on both my 2001 and 2002. this is probably a stupid question but how do they fold? i've tried doing it manually but they don't budge.
Old 22 Feb 2011, 12:55 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyomb View Post
i've got them on both my 2001 and 2002. this is probably a stupid question but how do they fold? i've tried doing it manually but they don't budge.
The OP is from Wales, their PT's have many different options.

We had a 2002 and it had folding mirrors that could be folded manually. I don't know if all of '02 had that option, our 2008 doesn't fold.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 22 Feb 2011, 12:59 pm
Regular Cruiser

They stopped putting the foldable mirrors in the U.S. on after '02. I never even heard of auto fold mirrors until I read this post and then looked them up and they were in the manual. Except they are only avaivlable on RHD vehicles, therefore none are ion the U.S.
There is a button on the mirror adjustment switch that folds them in an out, kind of cool yet useless at the same time. (according to the picture)

Last edited by meder2487; 22 Feb 2011 at 01:01 pm.
Old 22 Feb 2011, 01:07 pm
Young Cruiser

I've undone the three screws but this just separates the mirror's 'stalk' from the 'egg' shaped bit, if that makes sense. What I need to know is how to get inside the 'egg' shaped bit. Is there any way of removing the glass?

There's a 'rocker' type switch below the round switch that operates the electric mirror adjustment. You can fold them in manually and they are quite stiff, but will move if you apply enough force (usual disclaimers apply )
Old 22 Feb 2011, 01:11 pm
Regular Cruiser

Not sure about how to remove the glass. I would say push the glass all the way in to one side and see if you can see anything behind the glass that's holding it on.
This might be why it says that you cannot repair the internal workings of the mirror as it is not made to come apart.
Old 22 Feb 2011, 01:13 pm
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by meder2487 View Post
T
kind of cool yet useless at the same time. (according to the picture)
They're quite uselful when you park right next to sidewalks (narrow ones), single track country lanes where passing is a problem and car lots with narrow bays. Stops things bumping into the mirror and getting them broken. Things are smaller over here you know !!!!
Old 22 Feb 2011, 01:15 pm
Regular Cruiser

I guess American PT's just do not come as equipped as they do overseas.
Old 22 Feb 2011, 01:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by meder2487 View Post
I guess American PT's just do not come as equipped as they do overseas.
Somethings are good, some are bad!!! Like no diesel PT's

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar