Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Weapon-R Air Intake Kits

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23 Feb 2011, 04:07 pm
Young Cruiser

Default Weapon-R Air Intake Kits

Hey all just joined this forum and glad to be among fellow pt cruiser owners. I have a silver 2001 cruiser that is pretty much stock right now and I was wondering if anyone knew much about the Weapon-r intakes. Seems pretty good to me and I was really wanting to put a cold air intake on as my first engine mod. Any info will be appreciated. Thanks
Old 23 Feb 2011, 04:12 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Weapon-R Air Intake Kits

Welcome to the forum!

The mod I recommend first and foremost is more of a 'maintenance' thing. Replace those crappy Mopar spark plug wires as well as your spark plugs and gap them properly. I think stock they're gapped at .050, but iirc the guys here gap their N/A's at .045 (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

This job isn't so much a 'performance' mod but more like a 'getting back' one. After I replaced the plugs/wires on my PT GT as well as my friends PT TE, we both noticed smoother, quieter idle and smooth acceleration just the way the car ran new off the lot.

As for a CAI, I'd drop that idea. If you insist, you can go with an AIRRAID CAI which utilizes part of the stock airbox although I'm not sure if it works for pre-03 models. The best thing you can do is get a K&N drop-in filter and clean the sponge that's inside the airbox (it collects oil from the PCV). If you head on over to PTCrew.com and check out the Mod Bible, you'll see a run-down of 'upgrades' to perform on non-turbo PT's.
Old 23 Feb 2011, 04:26 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

The AirRaid WILL fit 2001-2005, a different one for 2006 & up, Turbos will still take a different one from the two above.

BTW: Welcome to the Forum.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 23 Feb 2011, 06:37 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Welcome from South Carolina.
Old 23 Feb 2011, 07:19 pm
Senior Cruiser

Thumbs up Re: Weapon-R Air Intake Kits

welcome from virginia
Old 23 Feb 2011, 08:13 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the forum. What your looking at isn't a CAI (Cold Air Intake) because it's just sucking in some outside air but mostly warmer/hotter air from the engine. It still helps the engine breath better (from experience) and took away the bogged down feeling from a dead stop. Supposedly you loose some torque but not enough to matter unless your into stop-light drag racing.

As was said, the more expensive ones like Air-raid and the K&N FIPK both have the shield that helps stop some of the hot air from entering the throttle body.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 23 Feb 2011, 09:20 pm
Cool Cruiser

B&g also offers an enclosed system but i am not sure if it's available for the n/a
50trim (2 Weeks)
Stage 3 (3 months)
Big Wheel Stage 3 (6 months) my Fav
Holset HX35 (6 months) 700whp turbo
Stock turbo its a daily driver now

I've done this once or twice before...
Old 24 Feb 2011, 12:59 am
Young Cruiser

Alright thanks for all the info... maybe i will just drop that idea... i will def be changing my spark plugs soon Kawizx9r. What are the best plugs and plug wires for the money? Once again thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it.
Old 24 Feb 2011, 07:55 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

i heard tho's intakes aren't that good. they promise a lot but it's just a flop.
That's a lot coming from me. I'm all about gimmicks, but for the weapon-R, i wouldn't waste my money on it. the short ram's would benifit from a heat shield or you could put in a k&n drop in filter and modify your air box. i know there's a how-to on how to modify the air box but i can't find it right now. if i do find it i'll post it for'ya.
welcome to the site by the way. Greetings from San Antonio from Eve and I.