Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Refueling Issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Feb 2011, 03:24 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Refueling Issues

I own a 2004 PT Cruiser with 58,000 miles. The problem I just started having is when I refuel I have to spend extra time holding the gas nozzle bacause it keeps clicking off. I've tried moving the gas nozzle to different positions and have tried using different gas stations and the same problem continues. Does anyone know what could be causing this? and what can I do to fix it?
Old 24 Feb 2011, 05:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Refueling Issues

I wonder if the fuel tank vent is blocked? I know if I have trouble I just pull the nozzle back a little. Here in Florida, they have removed the locks, so you have to stand there and keep the valve pulled. You can't wash the windshield while the car fill the gas tank.

BTW: Welcome to the Forum.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 24 Feb 2011, 06:25 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

I've deleted your other post on the same subject. No sense posting twice.

I've tried everything imaginable and the nozzel has been clicking off before it's full for 11 years now and the threads that have talked about this before all have owners complaining about the same thing. Sometimes changing pumps at different stations helps a bit. Filling slowly does help but who wants to stand there for 10 minutes while it gets completely filled?

Also CYCLONE35 had posted this in the other thread.

Re: Refueling Issues
You should let your tank vent out and then start fueling. fuel tanks hold pressure take your cap off wait about a minute and then start fueling

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 24 Feb 2011 at 06:29 pm.
Old 25 Feb 2011, 02:13 am
Senior Cruiser

When I fill up the wife's PT, I have always had to hold the EPA collar onto the gas inlet pipe. Sometimes, I just get the right angle on the pipe--and just press the whole time I'm filling up. The torture only lasts a few minutes ....

I have never been able to leave the nozzle while I clean my car windows (not that I'd use that filthy, gritty water to clean my windows, anyway).

Tim
Old 25 Feb 2011, 02:17 am
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

oooooooo busted for multiple posts. haha just kidding. Welcome to the site greetings from San Antonio from Eve and I.
Old 10 Jan 2013, 03:26 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hello All...
My 2008 Cruiser just started having the refueling issues. I've tried 6 gas stations, holding the nozzle at different angles.. still takes forever!
Is there not a simple part I can replace myself? I saw a Fuel Cut off valve.. does that sound right?
Thanks!!!
Cami
Old 10 Jan 2013, 06:20 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cami View Post
Hello All...
My 2008 Cruiser just started having the refueling issues. I've tried 6 gas stations, holding the nozzle at different angles.. still takes forever!
Is there not a simple part I can replace myself? I saw a Fuel Cut off valve.. does that sound right?
Thanks!!!
Cami
i have never been able to get an answer to this. i was ready to drill and make my own vent, but then the car magically fixed itself.

my rants about that annoying problem are here
Nozzle clicks off when fueling.

and here
Can't fuel car

people who havent experienced this offer solutions indicating the pump is too sensitive or you're going too fast, or they just dont get it. i feel your pain. if you fix it and you know how you fixed it, please let me know.
Old 10 Jan 2013, 11:23 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

There!!..I fixed it.

Old 11 Jan 2013, 01:40 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Recently saw this same issue on another car forum...the guy finally got so frustrated that he dropped the tank and found that there is a check ball at the bottom of the fill tube (intended to prevent fuel from spilling out of the filler neck in the event of a rollover) that had managed to get itself hung up somehow and thus partially blocked off the fill tube...posted some nice pics of it...looked like a ping pong ball.

Anyway, just a possibility...there is so much plumbing crap on gas tanks today...lots of places for something to go wrong -- ie...there are also check valves in the vent system, there is an evaporative emission system, etc.
Old 28 Jun 2015, 03:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

There is a valve fixed into the top right corner of the tank that controls the gasses being released when you fill up, this gets stuck and won't let any vapor out so the gas has nowhere else to go but back up the fuel filler pipe so it also forces the fuel back up as well shutting off the pump nozzle. Sometimes you can fix it by disconnecting the vapor pipe near the fuel tank and shooting some air into the pipe, this can release the valve. In my case it worked initially but the valve just got stuck again within a month. I have now tried a little bit of WD40 blown in with some air to see if this lubricates it a bit to avoid sticking. If this fails the next thing is to replace the complete fuel tank as I believe the valves come already fitted into it. I have searched everywhere and cannot find these valves listed to buy on there own, even the dealership could not find them but don't count on them to help you, mine was useless and could not help me confirm or deny anything. So if you can just get under the rear of the car and disconnect that pipe at the quick disconnect you may be able to fix the problem, worth a try.