Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Vacuum leak?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25 Feb 2011, 07:53 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Vacuum leak?

First off, I've tried to search and haven't seen anything that describes my problem. I have a 2001 PT NA Touring Edition, 80k miles, that I bought about two weeks ago as a commuter car. I like this car far more than I thought I would but I need some help with this one.

Ever since I've had it (before new stereo install) when I start the car I hear what can best be described as a sucking sound near the two middle vents on the dash. When I give it gas, the sound goes away (and not just because it gets louder...). As I'm driving, if I coast, the sound starts again. Give it gas, it goes away.

Last night I popped the hood, started it up and absolutely could not find anywhere in the engine bay that was making this sound. Checked the hoses and fittings and, to my eye, they looked fine. I went back in the cab and heard the sound, so I took the dash off. It seems to be coming from somewhere below the radio, but I still can't pinpoint it.
Can anyone give me a starting point to look for this or impart some knowledge of a past experience with something like this?

Thanks!
Old 25 Feb 2011, 08:27 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Vacuum leak?

When you hear the sucking sound, have you tried changing the control knobs on the HAVC system? Change the knob that controls outside or recirculate, also change the knob that has the airflow going to your feet or the windshield and other directions to see if the noise changes.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 25 Feb 2011, 08:40 am
Fresh Cruiser

Good points and I should have mentioned that. I have tried AC on and off with no changes in the sound. Recirc and fresh changes do not affect it either. There is a slight change when I go from defrost to feet, etc. but certainly not going away when I do those things.

That help?
Old 25 Feb 2011, 08:43 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I've never heard of your problem but was just guessing that it might be in the duct work that is inside the dash and lets the air go to different places. It still could be that if, like you said, sounds like it's below the radio.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 25 Feb 2011, 08:46 am
Fresh Cruiser

Good points and I should have mentioned that. I have tried AC on and off with no changes in the sound. Recirc and fresh changes do not affect it either. There is a slight change when I go from defrost to feet, etc. but certainly not going away when I do those things.

That help?
Old 25 Feb 2011, 08:51 am
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry, computer hiccup.
I'll dig a little deeper into it tonight. Thanks for the quick response.
Old 25 Feb 2011, 09:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

No problem. Hope you find it. Those little annoying squeaks, rattles and noises can be a real pain to sort out. At least, hopefully it's not hurting anything, just bothersome.