Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
02 PT Cruiser overheating.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27 Feb 2011, 03:50 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 02 PT Cruiser overheating.

This is actually for my GFs car. I'm running out of ideals on what to do. The fan is not kicking on. I changed the coolant temp sensor because the temp gauge in the car wasn't working. It was a cheap part, so I just went for it. Temp gauge is still frozen in the same place and the fan doesn't kick on.

Are the fans prone to stop working? Are their any other sensors that could prevent them from turning on? I did a bunch of google searches and best I can tell, lost of these are over heating, but I can't find any common fixes. The fixes seem to be all over the place, but for this car, I've narrowed it down to the fan not turning on at all.

The car has about 135K miles on it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 27 Feb 2011, 04:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 02 PT Cruiser overheating.

The fan does have a history of going out. The bushings inside the motor have a tendency to burn out.

The temperature sensor, the high and low relays and the PCM all play a part in turning on the fan. It should also come on any time the A/C compressor is turned on no matter what the coolant temperature is.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 27 Feb 2011, 05:21 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thank you for the quick reply. I'll see if it turns on with the AC turned on. If it doesn't, can just the motor be replaced on the fan, or does the whole fan unit need to be changed out?

Is their a good aftermarket unit to get or a good place to get one?

Thanks.

This might be a silly question, but assuming the timing belt and water pump are kept up, are these engines known to be good?
Old 27 Feb 2011, 05:54 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Yes, the 2.4L engine is a good one. Proper maintenance, preventative maintenance (timing belt) and oil changes are all that's needed for 200,000 or more miles.

I've heard that you can buy a motor only at AutoZone but I've never tried. The whole assembly (fan and housing) can be bought for less than $100 on eBay. We haven't found one fan housing and motor to be better than the other. Crap shoot. The fan and housing can be bought from a dealer but they are twice the price but might last a lot longer.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 27 Feb 2011, 06:55 pm
Veteran Cruiser

There's a 'sticky' somewhere on replacing fan motor brushes-
can't find it.

$5 brushes would be lots cheaper and Greener than buying a new Chinese fan
Old 03 Mar 2011, 05:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

The fan didn't kick in with the AC turned on. I ended up getting a new fan from ebay. I couldn't find a place that just sold new brushes, but I'll keep the old fan in case the new one goes out. When it comes in, I'll need to do a quick swap anyway.

Thanks for all the info. I hope this fixes it.
Old 20 Mar 2011, 02:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

How hard is it to change the fan?
Jack
Old 20 Mar 2011, 07:19 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfrisch View Post
How hard is it to change the fan?
Jack

Removing the fan and housing 01-05 PT

The radiator fan fix

Old 20 Mar 2011, 10:41 pm
Senior Cruiser

RockAuto's price for the fan motor is darn close to the price for a whole new fan. May as well get the new fan. They have three different manufacturers, if I remember correctly. They were all way cheaper than OEM--which isn't worth a darn, anyway, so why not try an aftermarket?

Tim
Old 21 Mar 2011, 12:15 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Brushes you carve down from a larger brush.
hardware stores have them in the bolts box / bins