Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Growling when stopping below 20 mph

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Feb 2011, 10:56 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Growling when stopping below 20 mph

My wife has a 2001 PT cruiser with an automatic transmission.
We recently started carpooling and I noticed a growling sound from the front right of the car and can feel a correlated vibration in the pedal when stopping. This only occurs after about 20 miles of driving... once the car is warm. Initially I thought to look at the breaks, but there are no obvious wear groves in the rotors and the break pads are still about 70%.
Next I noticed the right front hub seemed to be very hot (after driving, and the growling noise is heard, the wheel becomes very hot to the touch). With the varying descriptions of wheel bearings, and the heat I noticed, I thought it must be the wheel bearing. So, I went ahead and replaced both front wheel bearings.

Today is the 1st day back on the road, and sure enough...the growling sound persists.
Any suggestions? Please help!
Old 28 Feb 2011, 11:17 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: Growling when stopping below 20 mph

I know you mentioned that you checked the brakes and rotors, but I had a similar problem. My brake pads were not completely seated the right way in the caliper and it made a grinding and squeaking noise when going slowly.
You can tell this if you remove the pad from the caliper and there is wear on the edges of the pad but not throughout.
Not sure if this will help but its worth a shot.
Old 28 Feb 2011, 12:57 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the reply.
I looked at the pads last week. They seemed fine and didn't seem to be wearing unevenly. Seems strange that it's only after driving about 20 miles. If it were brakes, I would think it would happen hot or cold.
It's fairly easy to check, so I'll pull the wheel off again tonight and check again. Maybe I'll hit the rotors with some sandpaper while I'm at it.

Other suggestions?
Old 28 Feb 2011, 01:00 pm
Regular Cruiser

That certainly is weird. I am wondering if it has something to do with the transmission and drive shaft. Have you experienced any issues with the tranny?
Old 28 Feb 2011, 01:12 pm
Fresh Cruiser

No, but I think it is due for a transmission service.
Thinking it might have something to do with the transmission, I tried putting it in neutral while coming to a stop. Same sound. I suppose if it were the drive shaft or even some parts of the transmission, putting it in neutral wouldn't make a difference.

a
Old 28 Feb 2011, 02:45 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphanumericone View Post
Thanks for the reply.
I looked at the pads last week. They seemed fine and didn't seem to be wearing unevenly. Seems strange that it's only after driving about 20 miles. If it were brakes, I would think it would happen hot or cold.
It's fairly easy to check, so I'll pull the wheel off again tonight and check again. Maybe I'll hit the rotors with some sandpaper while I'm at it.
If one wheel is getting hotter than the other, I'd suspect that the caliper is sticking and the brake is dragging. It will wear normally, but faster than the other side.

If you pull the caliper and compress the pads (open the brake fluid cap) it should move fairly easily. (Compare to the other if need be)