Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
not running too well!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28 Feb 2011, 02:13 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default not running too well!!!!

I have a 02 cruiser. 2.4 non turbo with 154k. im not sure what the problem could be but it hasnt been running very good ever since i got it about a year ago. when i first got it the check engine light was on and it read p0601. i was told it needed a new PCM (kinda spendy). i had that installed and it seemed to not help at all??? I also replaced the plugs and wires. it dies out while idling and while going down the road but usually starts right back up except a couple times it took a few minutes. i can feel like its missing or something while going down the road.. but then sometimes it runs fine for days at a time then all of a sudden it will run crappy again??? any info or help on this will be appreciated. thanks
Old 28 Feb 2011, 02:19 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: not running too well!!!!

Ever had injector service? You can try a can of injector cleaner and it might help, but the professional service works better.
Old 28 Feb 2011, 02:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

havent had pro service but have tried a can of injector cleaner. made no difference at all
Old 28 Feb 2011, 02:47 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruiser1988 View Post
I have a 02 cruiser. 2.4 non turbo with 154k. im not sure what the problem could be but it hasnt been running very good ever since i got it about a year ago. when i first got it the check engine light was on and it read p0601. i was told it needed a new PCM (kinda spendy). i had that installed and it seemed to not help at all??? I also replaced the plugs and wires. it dies out while idling and while going down the road but usually starts right back up except a couple times it took a few minutes. i can feel like its missing or something while going down the road.. but then sometimes it runs fine for days at a time then all of a sudden it will run crappy again??? any info or help on this will be appreciated. thanks
Failing ignition coil could do that. Might want to check the pack. I'm not sure how the PT sensing the timing to fire the plugs, but that sensor could also be an issue.
Old 01 Mar 2011, 10:31 am
Senior Cruiser

Spray starting fluid along intake manifold seams if idle smooths out than the gasket is bad. It's usually the lower one. You could also clean the throttle body.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 01 Mar 2011, 11:06 am
Fresh Cruiser

ok im going to try check these things today. what im wondering is: why isnt the check engine light on? its not giving no codes to hint me to what the problem is...........
Old 01 Mar 2011, 12:03 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruiser1988 View Post
what im wondering is: why isnt the check engine light on? its not giving no codes to hint me to what the problem is...........
Welcome to the forum.
A few years back, we had an ASE Master Certified Mechanic who owned his own shop and ran a NOS equipped PT Cruiser. Sorry to say he isn't around anymore. He once told us, if I remember correctly, that the codes that show up on the dash when there's a problem are all related to emissions problems and that includes a bad plug or wire or anything that would make the PT run bad and affect emissions in one way or another. There are plenty of other faults that can affect the way the car runs and can only be accessed by a scanner and of course there's faults that aren't monitored by any kind of sensor and won't show up on any scan.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 01 Mar 2011, 12:06 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Get a fuel pressure gauge from Sears / etc., route it up to the hood opening
area so you can view thru windshield and take for drive.

Gotta love the dealer- It needs a new: (spin parts wheel) PCM!

Get a new crank position sensor and Cam position sensor, order the most
expensive Standard Motor Products from Rockauto.com or get the numbers
from them and go to a local speedshop.
Old 05 Mar 2011, 07:25 pm
Fresh Cruiser

ok today i was driving down the road all good n fine and all of a sudden my pt started to jerk, spit, and sputter. it has been doing this normally every once in a while. but this time seemed a bit worse than usual. then the check engine light came on. when i got home i checked it out and the only code was p1391. think this has something to do with it??
Old 05 Mar 2011, 08:23 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to WolfmanG

i noticed that no one asked about the timing belt. unless i skipped over it. Do you know if it was ever changed?