Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
PCM issues I Think ???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01 Mar 2011, 01:19 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question PCM issues I Think ???

A little history- I replaced the Head Gasket,timing belt, water pump and all the belts about 1 month ago. A bout a week later noticed that I had a nice little oil leak, so i put on my scuba gear and went back in to find the leak. After removing the timing belt assembly found that I had pinched one of the cam shaft seals. replaced all of the seals and reassembled it all. Started the car and all was great, let it set under the carport for about 15 idling to check for leaks. Yea! NO LEAKS. Time for a little test drive, drove it about 2 miles and with no warning it just shut off ???? Drug it back to the house and started troubleshooting, Timing[good] pulled spark plugs and checked compression[good] checked fuel supply[good] Found that I had no spark??? test all fuses wiring all the way back to the ECM unit. OK unplugged the ECM and found that there was this oily gooey stuff coming out of the ECM where one of the connectors plugged in. Cleaned it and the stuff just came back like it is coming from the inside of the ECM. I assuming that something cooked inside of the ECM, if so where to get one? and to flash or not to flash never been down this ECM road before so all advice and comments welcomed?????
Thanks.
Old 01 Mar 2011, 01:25 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: PCM issues I Think ???

There is a guy on eBay that sells refurbished ones. You buy one of his and then send him your broken one. There are also companies who can flash a ECM for you. You could go to a junk yard and get one for cheap and then send it out to a company to get it flashed to your vehicles information. Flight systems is a well known company for flashing.
Old 01 Mar 2011, 01:33 pm
Fresh Cruiser

So the oily stuff coming out of the ECM is bad?????
Old 01 Mar 2011, 03:08 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hey same thing happened to my PCM. Dealer quoted me $ 1,200.00 for a new PCM. Ended up getting a programmed computer from COMPUTER EXCHANGE for $225. Also 1 year warranty. Flashed and programmed to my car. Keep in mind you have to send them the old one.
Old 01 Mar 2011, 05:05 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Whats this flashing a reprogramming thing? I am currently fitting an early 2ltr into an 03. I have got the engine complete with wiring and ecm . do I have to do anything to the ecm once all the wiring is spliced in ??/
Wolfie