Advertisements
P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor replacement '07 TurboLite

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02 Mar 2011, 03:39 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor replacement '07 TurboLite

Hi there, at the following page:

Chrysler PT Cruiser cam sensor replacement: standard and turbo

the article about replacing the camshaft sensor, it mentions a torque spec of 115 inlb. In the shop manual for an '07 PT Cruiser Convertible, 2.4L turbo, Touring Edition (ie, turbo lite) the spec is 80 inlb, or 9 Nm. Also, the given spec for the torx nut that holds the magnet to the shaft is 32 inlb, or 3.5 Nm, at least in the manual I have. The magnet should be at least inspected when pulling the sensor, and re-torqued before putting the sensor back on. Hence, when the bad sensor is removed the torx nut should be loosened, the magnet inspected (removal is not required but a good idea anyway to look at the backside; looking for cracks in the magnet material), then reinstalled/torqued before the new sensor is installed.

That also means you might want to have another magnet assembly onhand, or as the original author omitted (on purpose?) don't even mess with it. I'm a little too anal to skip that torque check or inspection, seeing how it could be the problem to begin with. The magnet is a dealer part though, as far as I've been able to find. My stance is, make sure the part is still good, and be careful with it, don't over torque... you'll crack it.

I do not know if the torque specs changed year to year, but these numbers are correct for this year/make/model. Hope someone finds this useful.