Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
why does it act up sometimes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Mar 2011, 03:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

Angry why does it act up sometimes?

Okay, I have 2002 Limited Edition. Had for three years and love it. But once in awhile it acts up it just about drives me crazy. I put the key in, everything's fine hunky dorry. I turn the key and NOTHING happens. In the past I've learned that it won't start when it's low on oil. But the oil level is fine. I used to think it was the security, so I pull out that little black thing under the steering column, sometimes that works. But all in all I can not figure out why it does this. Most of the time if I keep at, it will finally crank up. But tonight it's been three hours it won't do nothing!! There are no codes, I did the retreve, it comes back 'done'. So now what? It doesn't always do this, but once in a while.
I mean all the lights and everything comes on like normal, it acts completely normal but will not start.I mean it won't even crank.

Last edited by gselander; 03 Mar 2011 at 06:58 am.
Old 03 Mar 2011, 04:52 am
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: why does it act up sometimes?

I had an 87 Chrysler fifth Ave that would do the exact same thing. For a year it got worse and worse until finally when the battery died and I put a new one in. Before I changed the battery it would do it 2 or 3 times a week. After the new battery it only did it once in a great while. The battery checked out fine every time I took it in. If the battery is not new I would start with that. The Fifth Ave. had an old style relay on the fire wall and if I jumped the relay it would crank every time. It also helped sometimes if I cleaned the battery terminals and connectors.

Last edited by azphotog; 03 Mar 2011 at 05:07 am.
Old 03 Mar 2011, 07:05 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Make sure all the connections to the battery and starter are clean. The battery is covered so your can't see crud and acid build-up around the terminals which can deplete the connectivity.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 03 Mar 2011, 08:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

could that be the multi function switch????
Old 03 Mar 2011, 09:17 am
Fresh Cruiser

Okay, all night and this am, this is longest its ever given me trouble. I've learned already how the car will not start to protect itself when the oil is low. But I checked all fluids and everything is fine. Can't see how to get to the battery, but it looks okay all around there. Like I said it doesn't always does this, and most of the time it'll just start up out the blue. I can't figure what's wrong this time. What is that little black Silencer pin under the steering column?
Old 03 Mar 2011, 10:03 am
Senior Cruiser

i could be wrong, but it sounds like you have an aftermarket alarm or remote start. if it is a "kill switch", that could be your problem. sorry, can't help with the removal of the device. if you can, take a picture of the silencer pin and upload it here. it might make it easier to diagnose the problem.
Old 03 Mar 2011, 10:33 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Like soyomb just said, almost anything added to the electrical system is suspect when things start to go wrong.

Just looking around the battery area doesn't help. The air filter has to be removed to look at the battery connections. That's why the acid build-up on the terminals can be a problem because you can't see the battery until it's too late. Out of site, out of mind.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 03 Mar 2011, 10:33 am
Fresh Cruiser

This is the Silencer under the steering column. I don't if it has anything to do qith it, but in the past I have pulled it out and put it back and the car would start. When I first bought the car three years, this happened within the first week. Needless to say I was going out of my head trying to figure out why it wouldn't start, until I found this.

http://www.ptcruiserlinks.com/forum/...icture1232.jpg

You mean it could still be getting the electrical power to light everything up, but not enough to start the car if the terminals are bad? Why didn't they make a battery the traditional way, easier to get to.

Last edited by gselander; 03 Mar 2011 at 10:36 am.
Old 03 Mar 2011, 10:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

I've never seen anything like it. Just looked through Google and found that there IS a Silencer Kill Switch for the starter system, sometimes installed by the dealer.

Here's one of the threads I found.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/s...erable-123207/

Last edited by CREWZIN; 03 Mar 2011 at 10:40 am.
Old 03 Mar 2011, 10:54 am
Fresh Cruiser

Okay, I found the battery (duh), it's right under the filter. and yeah, it's prety aweful. Gonna walk up to Wal-Mart (for the 3rd time) and get stuff to clean. Gawd, I hope this works, I gotta work tonight. And think I've gone through this probelm before on other cars, I should have already known. But the Cruiser just seems different than most cars.That's why I love it!! When I first saw them in 2001, I fell in love with them instantly. Especially the black ones, reminded me of something out of the 40's. I still can't believe I have one.About $6000 to go and it's mine!!

Last edited by gselander; 03 Mar 2011 at 10:56 am.

Tags
starting