Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Engine surged & cut off at 50 MPH

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03 Mar 2011, 11:38 am
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy Engine surged & cut off at 50 MPH

My wife bought me a 2005 PT Cruiser from a used car dealership for Xmas. I had all fluids changed, tune up, new motor mounts, rack & pinion, control arms, battery & some nice chrome wheels. Last night while traveling at 50 MPH, the engine revved up as if it was down shifted to a lower gear and it shut down. All electronic functions and lights still worked OK but it would not re-start. A quick call to the dealer suggested that the car's ignition stopped recognizing the ignition key & to try my alternate key. Well, the other key got the same results. I finally had to have her towed to the dealer for a diagnosis and hopefully a fix. Has anyone experienced this?? SCARY!!
Old 03 Mar 2011, 12:04 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Engine surged & cut off at 50 MPH

does it still cran over???
is it that it just will not start???
or is there NOTHING when you turn the key
Old 03 Mar 2011, 01:42 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hello & thanks for the quick reply. I just heard from the dealer...evidently there is a fused network that includes the starter. Two of the wireds in that area had frayed away exposing the bare wires that somehow touched each other when I got up to high speed. The harness is OK. I will know and report more tomorrow...
Old 03 Mar 2011, 01:46 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Oooops...sorry cruserdad1976...I forgot to answer your question...No, it would not crank and there was nothing when you turned the key. All lights worked, radio worked, signals were fine, and all dashboard lights and monitors worked fine.
Old 03 Mar 2011, 02:46 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome to the Forum. Sometimes it is important to include the mileage when you ask a question.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 10 Apr 2012, 02:04 am
Fresh Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSCRUZIN View Post
Hello & thanks for the quick reply. I just heard from the dealer...evidently there is a fused network that includes the starter. Two of the wireds in that area had frayed away exposing the bare wires that somehow touched each other when I got up to high speed. The harness is OK. I will know and report more tomorrow...
My 2005 has done the same thing. How was your problem resolved?
Old 10 Apr 2012, 06:42 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krwwzn05 View Post
My 2005 has done the same thing. How was your problem resolved?

He told you in post #3 ....bad wiring.
Old 10 Apr 2012, 09:06 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks. My car is in the shop now and they are telling me they are changing the ASD Relay and that I probably need a new starter........but, I've never had a problem with the starter. I gave them permission to replace the starter, but now I'm second guessing them. I'm not feeling good about this after reading so many other comments about similar problem. Thanks again. We'll see how this turns out :-(