PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
basic mainteance and.....where is the oil pressure swtich?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Mar 2011, 02:39 am
Regular Cruiser

Send a message via AIM to srebik Send a message via MSN to srebik
Default basic mainteance and.....where is the oil pressure swtich?

I made a post a while back about my oil pressure light turning on and not going off sometimes even though there was plenty of oil and the car was not acting up.

I was directed to the oil pressure sensor/switch.
I was also told I should change my oil sense it has been well past the time that I should've..... I swear its not because I'm a lazy procrastinator I swear it

anyways 2 nights ago I had a check engine light come on.
Did the key dance....thanks would not have known that trick if not for this place.
p0441- Evaporative Emission Control System Incorrect purge flow
and
p0522 - Oil Pressure Sensor/switch circuit low voltage.

I'm guessing the first one is what trigered the light, interesting that the 2nd was mentioned since I haven't had any recent "oil lamp stays on" situations in a while.

anyways before scrapping the car or trying a shotgun part replacement method I decided to get 2 cans of seafoam. I dumped half in the oil crankcase and 1 1/2 in the gas tank(gas tank only 1/2 full so good concentration).

this was 2 nights ago I decided to let the stuff in the oil swish around for a couple days till today since today I would have off and could change the oil.
figured I'd also run down to the dealership and get an oil pressure switch.

gas mileage has been steadily going down recently so I decided to replace the air filter (a neighbor of mine who has a pt mentioned once when I first got it that if mpg starts going down try replacing the air filter even if it still looks fine...so we shall see on that), upon lifting the air box what do I see......tons of corrosion build up.....omg!.
whelp since I plan to reset the pcm during my oil change I'll take care of it then.
so I get some corission eater and some protectant spray coating.

called up the dealer today and they have a oil switch in stock drive down there and get it. on the way back I notice my check engine light is off, it went out all by itself.....yay. the codes still in the system though LOL.

so I take the terminals off and start spraying the corossion killers on them and the posts, eventually wash them off, dry, lookin better but still not perfect. I decided to add a little dielectric grease to the posts before putting the terminals back on and coating with the protectant spray.

Anyways I start the oil change, replace the stock sized filter with the turbo model sized filter, and dump in 5 qts of synthetic oil, button it all up. go looking for the oil pressure swtch....can't see it from underneath can't see it from up top.....argh....I know its location but I can't see it or even how to get to it.
the replacement switch is huge I'd need to bust out my 1 1/16 or some ungodly sized wrench to fit on it....no idea how to fit in the engine bay to get the old one out though.

anyone know the trick?

as for the codes so far they have no returned but I only started the car to make sure there were no leaks and the oil lamp goes off like it should....which it did. I did the key dance and no codes. I haven't taken the car around the block yet or to the store or anything like that.

upon looking at the new oil pressure switch I'm wondering if its not so much they go bad or if they just get clogged and can't feel the pressure anymore.
the hole that is in the part that screws into the block is really small, and I could see it over time getting plugged. which maybe the seafoam driving around like that helped clean it out. I guess time will tell on that one.

2003 Dark Blue Non-Turbo Pt Cruiser w/ 5 speed
Old 04 Mar 2011, 05:52 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: basic mainteance and.....where is the oil pressure swtich?

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 05 Mar 2011, 05:58 pm
Regular Cruiser

yes I know that its on the engine block on the back side near the exhaust manifold near where the transmission hooks up to the block.

But how do you get to it?

I was under the car and above the car and not once did I see it.
since mine doesn't have a turbo the back part of the engine to wide open but still I don't see where it is or how to get to it.
I do think that once the tips of my fingers brushed it but thats about it.

Old 10 Mar 2011, 12:05 pm
Regular Cruiser

Looking for advise from someone who has replaced their oil pressure switch/sensor.

I am curious how you got to the swtich and sensor and what type of tool(s) were involved to remove it and then replace it.

Every now and then I get the oil presure wanring light to come on, even thought eh car has oil and is running fine. I was planning on replacing it with last oil change but couldn't figure out how to get to the darn thing.

so looking for advise, tricks, maybe a step-by-step guide on how to get the darn thing out.

thank you.