Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Coolant reservoirs - do they differ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04 Mar 2011, 02:24 pm
Young Cruiser

Exclamation Coolant reservoirs - do they differ?

I need to replace my coolant reservoir tank in my 2003 pt cruiser gt.
On rockauto they have one for a 2003 pt w/o turbo but i'm not sure if it is the correct one.
I called the dealership and got this part number for the turbo recovery tank
5058070-AD
Now rockauto's ends in AA and says w/o turbo.
The one that is on the car is not the original and is not stock so i have no general idea of what it is supposed to look like. I bought it with the wrong recovery bottle in it 6 months ago.
Does the recovery bottle differ from stock 2003 than from the GT reservoir?
and if someone would be so kind as to send me a picture if they have a 2003 of what the actual reservoir on it "should" look like I would appreciate it. Thankyou.
God bless - Matt
Old 04 Mar 2011, 03:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Coolant reservoirs - do they differ?

In my past life I worked with Chrysler blue prints and at that time, when there was a model year change they would change the Suffix number. There may NOT be any other change to the part itself. Just saying!!!

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 04 Mar 2011, 04:58 pm
Young Cruiser

I found on on rockauto for only $16 but it is under the 2003 non turbo section. There isn't one listed at all for the turbo model in that section.
Was hoping another o3 gt owner would throw up a picture for me to see/compare
Old 04 Mar 2011, 05:20 pm
Senior Cruiser

Just went outside to take one that's in my 2003 PT GT -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Kawi is a friggin genius!
Old 05 Mar 2011, 12:38 am
Young Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawizx9r View Post
Just went outside to take one that's in my 2003 PT GT -
That actually looks very similar to the one that is in mine right now. From that side view it looks to be the same. I only considered it to be the wrong one because the bolt holes dont lign up to mount it to the firewall so as a result it has actually managed to shift its way over and touch a piece of the exhaust manifold and melt a good size hole on the side of it. (Run-on, I know) So I am presently operating with only the coolant my radiator holds. Haven't overheated yet but winter in florida is coming to an end and the temps are reaching into the high 70's. I'm not sure of the severity of waiting to order one, I figure I am operating about a liter low on coolant without a reservoir present. Have not had any issues yet with it overfllowing out of the hole in the reservoir and burning off yet.
It is a rebuilt title from a severe front end so alot of the parts i am discovering have been spliced in or are from alternate makes and models. Scary.
Thankyou for taking the time to take that photo, that was very kind of you.
God bless - Matt

Edit:
The one on rockauto looks like this. Do you think it would work for the turbo model as well or do you think it would be too large. Also, is there only one hose that is attached to the recovery reservoir? (One leading straight to radiator, just below radiator cap)
Edit #2: I have searched high and low on the internet and have not found an a store that carries the reservoir. The dealer would like to take my arm but I am reluctant to give it to them. I;ve tried oreilly's rockauto autozone advance.. I just cannot find the one for the turbo model. Crazy.

Last edited by matthewmilbut; 05 Mar 2011 at 01:12 am.
Old 05 Mar 2011, 02:22 am
Young Cruiser

I just went ahead and ordered the reservoir. I found it online at chryslerparts.net
along with the 2 securing nuts/bolts and 2day shipping the total came to ~$56
Hopefully I will receive it by tuesday as I am taking my grandmother to the beach on wednesday for her birthday. Could be disastrous without it :x
Old 21 Jul 2011, 12:32 pm
Fresh Cruiser

My daughter has a 2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser Turbo (GT) and the coolant reservoir was totally leaking antifreeze (coolant) from it as well. This has been a great help from reading your information on this forum about your 2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser Turbo (GT). I also did local and internet research and was running into the same problems as you. I did find some used coolant reservoirs for the turbo version on Ebay luckly, but when I read this forum and you posted the Chrysler Parts - Wholesale OEM Chrysler Parts - ChryslerParts.net website it was better, because they have the part new instead of used. On this website they call the coolant reservoir a BOTTLE COOLANT RECOV. So I just wanted to thankyou for the information. Now my daughter will have her car fixed soon.

Last edited by srduran; 21 Jul 2011 at 12:34 pm. Reason: add information
Old 21 Jul 2011, 12:44 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Turbo

Non-Turbo