Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Torque setting for Manifold?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05 Mar 2011, 04:10 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Torque setting for Manifold?

I am re-assembling the intake after a tune up and read the following post for the torque settings on these plastic like components. It just seems way to high at 105lbs. I am afraid I will reduce these items to trash.

2006-Up Pt Cruiser Spark Plug Removal.

Can anyone confirm this?
Old 05 Mar 2011, 04:26 pm
Veteran Cruiser

Default Re: Torque setting for Manifold?

105 INCH Lbs!!!!!!!!!!

Just tighten it, I never use a torque wrench on these items,
only head bolts, cam caps, Aluminum wheels, etc.

I never have problems
Old 05 Mar 2011, 04:49 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

No offense to uptown, but I have three members on PTCREW who have busted off connections on these. You do have to be careful, it's not something to be nonchalant about. Not only do you need to use a torque wrench, and a clicker is best on these, but you should use a specific tightening pattern to insure long life of the rubber seals.

I do not mean to intentionally demean Uptown's ideas, but me being completely OCD when it comes to my car, I can't support that "just tighten it" attitude. We're all supposedly adults here, so it's your decision in the long run.

Also, if you would like to verify my data, I would gladly send you the link to my web library where you will find service manuals for '01-09, parts catalogs for '01-08, recalls, notices, TSB's, etc., for all years. I have collected this for 6 years now and freely offer it to members of this site.
Old 05 Mar 2011, 05:06 pm
Regular Cruiser

I do not know anyone here so please do not be upset if I ask for more info to back up anything. This car is new to me and I have not worked on my own car for many years so I am getting re-acquainted altogether. I did note that what you (Chromenut) posted appeared to be from a manual, but I still felt the need to ask for more confermation.
I do understand that engineers add these specs for reasons so I will follow their recommendations. I am less than a shade tree mechanic but knowing I lack the experience will keep my sharp for following spec.

All in all the tune up went well. The old plugs were set at .46 on average and were a little on the dark side. I added the platinum set at the recommended .40.

It sure is a nice looker, even though it is all stock.

Now if the wife can only keep the fenders on her.
Old 05 Mar 2011, 07:50 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I've done this stuff most of my life, I guess it comes with experience.
My father taught me alot, I remember working on his welder as a child,
and him straightening me out when I overtightened a bolt-

I do have a very expensive inlb torque wrench (as well as Ft Lb) that is used
when necessary, otherwise my precious baby's kept with the family Silver

Some items you can be 'nonchalant' about; others you can't.
I'd say it's not the correct word, though, more at; 'non-anal.'
This is one item you can, if someone is breaking them, they
should be using a torque wrench until they get a feel for tightening
a 8mm bolt-
Old 05 Mar 2011, 08:24 pm
Senior Cruiser

Hayne's Manual says to tighten the Upper Manifold Bolts to 105 "INCH' pounds--NOT foot-pounds. Also, you tighten the center bolt, first; the one to the right of center, 2nd; the one to the left of center, 3rd; the far right one, 4th; the far left one 5th.

Of course, you use an INCH-pound torque wrench--unless you've been wrenching on nuts and bolts for years--and have developed the "feel" that comes from breaking nuts and bolts in the past, and learning the hard way. Also, the best torque wrench to use is the "clicker" kind.

When it comes to small-torque nuts and bolts, it's always best to use the best tools you can find. The cost of some broken parts is far more than a torque wrench that can be used for years to come.

By the way, I did all of the above and my Upper Manifold is perfectly snug--with nothing broken in the process.

You can also use that "Inch-pound" torque wrench to tighten your spark plugs to 156 inch pounds--without stripping your heads ....

Tim

Tim
Old 05 Mar 2011, 09:14 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Ah, gotcha Uptown, like me, I'm 49 and started wrenching on my first car at 8 years old. My father bought a 1966 AMC Marlin with a beautiful small-block 327 in it. Oh, man do I miss that motor. After years of wrenching, I'm the same as you, pretty much don't need a torque wrench for most of my work. I've had the intake mani off often enough to know what the breaking point is and when to stop. So experience is a very useful tool....FOR ME. The reason I make the comments I do is that others here on this forum may not be as used to bustin their knuckles as you and I so I try to word my advice for those who are just learning the ropes.

Anyway, all respect to you mate, Id say it'd be fun to get together on one of these "tool times" but you are wayyyy up there where they speak like Canadians, and it's just too cold for me, I'm a wuss down here in the south enjoying the warmth!!! lol...

Last edited by Chromenut; 05 Mar 2011 at 09:16 pm.
Old 06 Mar 2011, 03:56 am
Veteran Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
it's just too cold for me, I'm a wuss down
here in the south enjoying the warmth!!! lol...
Don't blame you a bit-
There's little sun for 2-3 months and everythings covered in salt, lot's
and lots of it. The Horror
Old 07 Mar 2011, 12:11 am
Senior Cruiser

Well ... when it comes to "inch-pounds"--and since my wife and daughter have bought me, both a foot-pound (which I don't trust), and an Inch-pound Craftsman torque wrench (which I do trust), I go ahead and make use of the Inch-pound one.

I broke off my first nut (no pun here, folks) when I was changing the oil on my first VW. I can't even remember the foot pounds on those little nuts. Maybe 8 lbs. But I learned to take it easy, and by the time I owned my 19th VW (Karman Ghias, Busses, Bugs, Type 4's--and one beat up but beautiful 1970 Bus-Pick-up), I pretty much figured out the "feel" of metal nuts and bolts, studs and sleeves. But when it comes to modern cars with pressed-into-plastic parts, I'd rather take a sip of Guiness and wait for the tell-tale "click" as my trusty inch-pound torque wrench tells me all is well with the world.

Many of the posters on this forum were not around when gas was 29 cents a gallon. Some did not have fathers to teach them how to work on cars. Some, therefore, rely on advice we have to share.

We have different opinions, but that's okay. Whatever works.

So my advice to all novices, young girls, guys whose hair is still somewhat intact, and those who don't want to get on here and tell us a sad story about how you stripped out an expensive part ... is this: Put an "inch-pound" torque wrench on your Christmas list. And when you want to worry less, use it.

Tim
Old 07 Mar 2011, 12:28 am
Veteran Cruiser

Get a dial or simple 'beam' wrench.
The dial above is for measuring 'rolling torque.'
I do lots of Neon manual transmissions, sometimes replacing the differential,
which requires low single digits inch lbs. to verify correct bearing shimming.

I did a class on car maintenance, and couldn't believe how inept (in the best
way) people were with simple hand tools- So you're really right.

It'd be the same if I were to get a job as an accountant-

You always tighten items in a center out pattern, I think ford (of
course) had a bizarre pattern for their head ...