Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
need advice on removing the charcoal canister removal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Mar 2011, 09:48 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default need advice on removing the charcoal canister removal

Hi PT'ers ... I need to remove the charcoal canister ( po 441) to clean it out or to replace it. Can anyone tell me how to remove the "canister shield" that is covering it? it's that metal thing that need to be taken off in order to get to the canister.

Thanks...Sara
Old 06 Mar 2011, 10:18 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: need advice on removing the charcoal canister removal

Sara,

I can't answer your question but thought you should read this before you go and replace parts that may not be needed. Unfortunately the thread just stops with answering all the questions but does give an answer from one of the mechanics on the forum that says the charcoal canister is not the culprit for the code.

Error P0441

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 06 Mar 2011, 10:44 am
Fresh Cruiser

thanks for the info Crewzin! I'll ck it out. The winter's been so bad over here in the Northeast and last week the light came on after hitting a few large potholes in the road... "pot holes" are taking over the roadways! I'll let you know what we find or don't find
Old 27 Jul 2011, 08:18 am
Fresh Cruiser

Hey CREWZIN;
I was wondering if you could help me or point me in the right direction. I have an 03 limited with 46,000 miles on it. I also have the p0441 code and recently when the A/C is on and the car is idling it will vapor lock, it think. What happens is it will make a loud squeal noise and a puff of white smoke will come from behind the front passenger wheel. Also the A/C started blowing warm and when I went to put in Freon the gauge on the tank said it wasn't that low at all. Are the two connected? Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 27 Jul 2011, 03:34 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

That loud noise and the puff of white smoke is your Freon being dispensed into the air by the compressor. When the compressor gets too much pressure it gets rid of some of the Freon before it blows up. As it's building up pressure because of ?? you will get warm air instead of the cold inside the cabin.

Now you have to find out why it's building up pressure. The No#1 reason is because one or both speeds of the radiator fan isn't working. Can you verify that both speeds are good?

Also, I really can't answer that the P0441 code and your bad A/C are connected.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 28 Jul 2011, 07:02 am
Fresh Cruiser

thanks again, I'll check the fans and see. How do I confirm that the speeds of the fan are correct? and if not is I would assume the fix is a switch?
Old 28 Jul 2011, 07:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

NO, the "switch" (whichever one your thinking about) is not what's wrong. Very possible buy not very likely, is the high or low speed relay. Most likely is the fan motor itself. The bushings inside the motor burn out. It happens all the time.

Your best bet is to find someone with a DRBII scanning tool. This tool (scanning computer) can turn on and off and test all kinds of things on the car including the computer itself.