Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Few questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06 Mar 2011, 12:50 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Few questions

I want to know how hard it is to install a boost gauge and is to easy to mod my stock air intake box or should i just install a aftermarket cold air intake. and can any one tell me how to make my set up a picture in my profile like the little square box where it shows my profile name.
Old 06 Mar 2011, 12:55 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Default Re: Few questions

I cant answer your question about the boost guage but it sounds like you want an avatar picture.Just click on "User CP" at the top left of your screen and scroll down to "Edit Avatar" and then you can add a picture.Hope that helps.
Old 06 Mar 2011, 12:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Go to "User CP" and hit "Edit Avatar" The Avatar is the small picture. Add a link to a picture that is very small, about 100 x 100 pixels, and it should show up by your name.

It relatively easy to mod your stock air box ( instructions somewhere around here) and a lot less expensive that a decent cold air intake. The biggest expense would be a flow thru drop-in filter and some say the OEM filter will do just as well.

The boost gauge will have to be answered by someone with a Turbo.

Looks like SCbluePT types faster than me, but I had more to say.
Old 06 Mar 2011, 12:57 pm
Senior Cruiser

Go to your control panel and upload or link an avatar (that's the little picture next to your name).

As for the airbox mod, there's a write-up in the Mod Bible over at PTCrew.com Hell they've got a write-up for any and all mods for our car.

Boost gauge is as easy as changing your oil. Just think about where you want to install it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Kawi is a friggin genius!
Old 06 Mar 2011, 12:58 pm
Senior Cruiser

Got my liquid-filled Autometer Boost/Vac gauge on the steering column, and my AEM UEGO Wideband underneath the stereo.

Quote:
Old 06 Mar 2011, 01:13 pm
Senior Cruiser

If anything, here you go -

1. Determine where and how you want to install your gauge. Then grab the proper mount/stand for it.

2. Because I mounted mine on the steering column, I decided to tap into the wiring down there. I'm not sure what wire it is exactly for later years but in my 03 PT GT, you'll want to locate this one (black with yellow stripe). It turns on when you turn on your daytime/lights.

I'm not providing a pic of where I grounded my cable, but that's because it's pretty easy and self-explanatory. Just make sure that the metal surface for your ground is clean and free of any rust/paint.

3. Look at your firewall from the driver's seat just between your foot rest and your brake pedal. You'll see a grommet already in place. That's where I chose to run the provided vac line.

4. Run it all the way through. Here's an outside view of where the line will come out from.

5. Here, I tapped into my brake boost line that comes out from behind my intake manifold. You can't miss it. I can't recall whether the line was 3/8" or so (check before cutting). What you'll want is a metal T, because the one gauges provide are cheap flimsy plastic. They'll either warp/melt due to the engine bay's high temps or even break. I went to AutoZone and picked up an assorted set for just 5 bucks. Went with a slightly larger T for the line than normal. Took it off the intake manifold and cut it where I knew I would tap into the line and brought it inside. Because the line was a bit too small, I boiled it (to let the hose expand) and stuck it on the metal T. For added insurance, I ziptied it nice and tight. Now I know for a fact that line isn't coming off even if I tried yanking it off.

Hope this helps!

Quote:
Old 06 Mar 2011, 01:18 pm
Senior Cruiser

Took a little while because I was making copies of the pictures and resizing them on my photobucket

Don't want to take up too much bandwidth!

To the OP, those are pics of my install. If for some reason you need one of a certain angle and such just ask.

Quote:
Old 06 Mar 2011, 03:24 pm
Regular Cruiser

whitch is better a true cold air intake or moding the stock one
Old 06 Mar 2011, 04:54 pm
Senior Cruiser

Matt, these questions have been asked countless times....even in the short amount of time that I've been on the forum.

Do a search and get your read on. Be surprised how much you'll learn if you take the time to read things. Hell, you'll learn alot more than you'd expect because alot of older threads/posts will cover things you wouldn't have thought of.

Quote: