Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Hyper Fan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Mar 2011, 12:10 am
Young Cruiser

Default Hyper Fan

Greetings to everyone. New member here, but have been a long time looker. I regret that my first post is an issue, but I need some help.

Yesterday I noticed my PT's radiator fan was constantly kicking on and off when in defrost mode. I know the compressor runs on defrost, but in my case the fan goes on for about 30 seconds to 1 minute then turns off and before it finished spinning down it kicks back on again. I have never noticed this behavior before in the past 9 years of ownership. I live in a remote area and it takes me about 100 miles to get to a trusted mechanic, so I would need some info or a link to another posting with the same problem before traveling.

Other info: My PT is a 2002 Classic with 63,xxx miles with regular maintenance. I had the A/C system inspected and recharged last summer, so I'm confused as what could be going on.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 09 Mar 2011, 06:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Hyper Fan

Welcome to the forum.
Your right about the fan kicking on with the compressor, it's supposed to do that in A/C mode or defrost. What you have going on (I believe) is that you are little low on R-134. I know you just had it recharged last summer but I think if you have it inspected again now it will show that it's low. One of the symptoms of a low charge is the compressor kicking on and off more rapidly than normal and the fan is following this on/off mode.
Old 09 Mar 2011, 06:00 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Sure sounds like the A/C is cycling and causing the engine fan to cycle with it - is engine temp okay?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 09 Mar 2011, 07:44 pm
Young Cruiser

Thanks for the quick replies. I actually turned on the A/C on the way home today and while the fan stayed on steady, the compressor was kicking on and off kind of quick. When I turned the knob to defrost both the fan and compressor were going on and off at the same quick frequency. As for the engene temp. it stays in the middle and reads out between 198 and 209 degrees.
Now I know where to start and I would not doubt if it is low on R-134a since the old local 'stealership' worked on it 2 years ago.