Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
pt cruiser in limp mode code 0339

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Mar 2011, 01:43 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question pt cruiser in limp mode code 0339

I was driving 75 on the expressway in the rain when the check engine light came on and the car went into limp mode. Engine code is 0339 (crankshaft pos sensor). I recently replaced the timing belt, tensioner, idler, water pump, and torque struts less than 300 mile ago. Just had front end suspension work done less than 100 mile ago. The car idles fine. My question is does it sound like the new timing belt slipped, wiring was damaged during timing belt work, crankshaft sensor conveniently failed so close to recent work? 2005 non turbo 135,000 miles.
Old 09 Mar 2011, 01:57 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: pt cruiser in limp mode code 0339

That's possible, but you won't be able to tell unless you get the car on a lift and inspect the wiring and sensor.

You didn't say what year your car is and it does make a difference on where the Crankshaft sensor is located. 01-03 it's above the oil filter, 04+ it's behind the starter motor.

At your mileage, and even a lot lower, both the Crankshaft and Camshaft sensors seem to go bad and have to be replaced.

My wiring harness on the Camshaft sensor broke loose from the connection point and hung down till it hit the rotating half shaft. Burned right through the harness and brought my PT to a halt at 11pm on Route 95 in South Carolina.

Anythings possible.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 19 Mar 2011, 09:31 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Re: pt cruiser in limp mode code 0339

I just wanted to follow up, I tried to replace the crankshaft sensor myself but I couldn't pull the old one out and I didn't want to break it. I ended up taking it to the dealer and they replaced it. They said the old sensor was cracked. The old sensor also had significant marks on in where they pried it out. I also wanted to mention I bought both the $30 mopar sensor and $17 autozone sensor. Both sensors were identical, even down to the plastic casting numbers.