Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Check Engine Light

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09 Mar 2011, 11:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default Check Engine Light

New owner of one month, 2006 turbo, automatic with 8000 miles. Check engine light came on this morning as I was leaving to go to work. Thinking that I would check it out later, continued on my way. Got on the free way and noticed that the transmission wasn't shifting into forth gear. Turned around and went back home. Couldn't find anything obvious, fluid is full, no leaks.

I did clean the engine last night. Light spray with Simple Green and a light rinse with the hose. Engine was only dusty so didn't need much.

Any ideas?
Old 09 Mar 2011, 11:32 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: Check Engine Light

Do the 'key dance' to retrieve your CEL code.

This is done by turning the key to the ON>OFF>ON>OFF>ON within 5 or 10 seconds (don't start the car). Your odometer display will list a code Pxxxx. If there are multiple codes, it'll cycle through each one for about 2 or so seconds and if there are no more codes you'll see a 'done'

Let us know what it is. Btw, if you care to find out check out the Tech section of the forum. There you'll find plenty of sticky's, one of them listing any and all error codes and what they mean.
Old 09 Mar 2011, 11:33 pm
Senior Cruiser

Where are my manners?

Welcome to the Forum

-Freddy
Old 10 Mar 2011, 12:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks Freddy. Just after posting I looked around here more and found out about finding the codes. I just tried it and got "done". The engine light is still on. I'm stumped.
Old 10 Mar 2011, 12:12 am
Senior Cruiser

Could've been a temporary problem then, our cars are prone to throwing the CEL.

If you've got an aftermarket radio or something, make sure to save any audio/equalizer settings. Pop your hood and disconnect the negative terminal on your battery for at least 5 minutes. This will clear your engine light. While you're at it, it won't hurt to clean up the terminals a bit. Water+baking soda and a toothbrush are great for this.

Hook your terminal back up and just hope that the issue resolved itself. If it happens again, hopefully you'll get a code so we can troubleshoot further.
Old 10 Mar 2011, 12:28 am
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks again Freddy, the car is bone stock. I was getting ready to try the battery cable then thought. What about the transmission not shifting. Do you think if disconnecting the battery works for resetting the light, could that reset the transmission too?
Old 10 Mar 2011, 12:32 am
Obsessed Cruiser

It can sometimes reset the light, and sometimes reset the tranny issues. Sometimes....
Old 10 Mar 2011, 01:07 am
Fresh Cruiser

It worked. Disconnected the battery for about ten minutes and cleaned the terminals. Put it back together, the light went out. Took a test drive and it's running fine. I saw something in the owners manual about something in the diagnostic system called "limp mode" where the transmission sticks in second gear so you can limp to a dealer for service.

Don't know what caused it, but for now, it's fixed.
Old 10 Mar 2011, 08:40 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Welcome, Dave.
Is that 8,000 or 80,000 miles?????
If it's 80,000, ought ro consider a transmission flush - find a place with a flushing machine and be sure they use only ATF +4.

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 10 Mar 2011, 10:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

Not a mistake, 8,000 miles. We just bought if from a little old lady's family. She passed away and hardly used the car. It's like new. Love it.

I feel like I still need to get it checked, I don't want to risk anything worse.

Thanks again for your help last night. I was going to take to the dealer this morning. You helped me save some time and money today.