PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Valve cover replacement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11 Mar 2011, 01:43 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Valve cover replacement

Hello,

I have a 2001 pt and have noticed excessive oil consumption. No dripping leaks at all, but lot of oil in the intake and some in the spark plug cylinders. Good amount of white smoke on cold days. I read that this is caused from a faulty designed cylinder head cover. This Link discusses the issue: Chrysler PT Cruiser repairs and fixes

Question: could I buy a newer designed valve cover, say from 2005 up to fix this problem? Would it bolt right up? Which valve cover gasket would I need to use? 2001 or 2005?

Thanks for the help!
Old 11 Mar 2011, 02:18 pm
Fanatic Cruiser

Default Re: Valve cover replacement

All valve covers will fit.
Old 11 Mar 2011, 02:33 pm
Veteran Cruiser

The 2001 & up metal valve covers are much taller than the PT.

I assume sealant in cover separator has come loose or washed away.
You might attempt to remove the cover and re-seal the plate.
I *think* it's held in by screws, i'm not home now to look.

Oil in intake / numerous leaks can be caused by excessive blow-by.
Old 11 Mar 2011, 03:21 pm
Senior Cruiser

How long does the white smoke last on "cold days"? If it's pure white (not bluish/white), and it goes away after the motor is nice and hot, then it's just water vapor from a cold engine on a cold day.

And how much oil are you using? Many PT's use a lot of oil (up to a quart ever 1000 miles)--and no one knows where it goes. No leaks, etc. My best guess is that it comes from the PCV. But it's just what PT's do.

Also, how much oil in the spark plug wells? If it's just a little around the spark plug seat(s), that's no big deal. But if you have any spark plug well where the oil is reasonable deep, and getting your spark plug boots wet--and especially if it's coming up the hole and getting on your rocker cover--then you definitely need to have your spark plug well seals replaced in all four spark plug wells.

Tim
Old 11 Mar 2011, 03:40 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hello,

When I bought the PT, the oil was extremely low, so I was wary after purchase. I did an oil change right away with full synthetic. After about 400 miles I checked the oil and it was about 1/2 quart low. So I added more. I do smell burning oil after I drive it each time, which leads me to believe it might be getting on the exhaust, but I never find any drips on the ground... The white smoke/steam lasts for about 15 minutes, so that may not be concerning. Oil in the spark plug holes was very little, and it was only in hole 1 and 4. Thanks for the replies, I think I'll try a newer designed cover with a new gasket and see if that fixes the issue.
Old 12 Mar 2011, 12:54 pm
Banned

Kustom, the answer to your own question was in the link you supplied in your origional posted question. It included parts numbers, etc.

Sooo--I'm confused.

Did you just want us to read the link to see the other problems with our PTs? By the way folks, if you read all of the links questions and answers, you'll find some very familiar wording about some of the problems with our PTs. Almost as if some of our posters were simply apeing the problem posts that they find on other sites. Could it be be??? Noone would do that right??? There is more I could say here, but I won't--someday maybe.

Jerry
Old 12 Mar 2011, 12:59 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Not sure what your implying, but your way off track. The article was confusing as to if all valve covers would work after 2005. That's why I asked for advice. I found a used cover on Ebay for a 2007, and I wanted to know if it would work on my 2001. I love my PT and am very happy with it. You're trying to read into things way too much. Are you a PT Cruiser conspiracy theorist? Jeez!!
Old 12 Mar 2011, 01:10 pm
Veteran Cruiser

I wouldn't bother- Just remove the cover and try to re-seal it.
Worth a try!

If I recall, I'll look at the one I have, bought it for my precious as it weighs
less, but needed different wires as wells are deeper. I'm too cheap to get wires ...

I'll look at the part number, too

You'll find people are VERY sensitive about the PT on this site-

Funny, on the Neon sites everyone jokes about it's quirks!!!!

www.neons.org • View topic - You know you're a 1st gen-er when....
Old 12 Mar 2011, 01:14 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Uptown,

Thanks for the advice, YOU have been very helpful. Ya, I could try to reseal it and see if that helps. I don't see any oil leaking from the valve cover, so the majority of if must be going into the intake. I did notice my PCB valve was loose, so I tightened that up.
Old 12 Mar 2011, 02:13 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KustomKruiser View Post
I have a 2001 pt and have noticed excessive oil consumption. No dripping leaks at all, but lot of oil in the intake and some in the spark plug cylinders. Good amount of white smoke on cold days. I read that this is caused from a faulty designed cylinder head cover. This Link discusses the issue: Chrysler PT Cruiser repairs and fixes
Doesn't white smoke imply water or steam? Oil makes blue smoke.

Have you had any pressure tests done on the engine?

As for losing oil, remember that synthetic will be thinner than conventional and can leak/blow by easier.

What kind of mileage do you have on the car? If it's high, you might need to use a thicker oil or an additive.