PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
jiffy lube service

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16 Mar 2011, 10:41 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default jiffy lube service

Hey everyone,
It's that time again to get my oil changed, but i also am wanting to get my transmission fluid changed at Jiffy Lube. My pt's an ex-rental, with almost 43,000 miles on it. I got it when it had 34,000 miles. I have never changed the fluid myself, and i'm honestly not sure if it has ever been changed during the life of the car. I know that the transaxle requires Mopar certified ATF-4 tranny fluid. I have read stories of places putting in dexron, and i'm a little skeptical. Am I overthinking this? (I probably am!) haha.
thanks,
-Hayden
Old 16 Mar 2011, 10:56 pm
Senior Cruiser

Default Re: jiffy lube service

Just make sure it's ATF+4.

How much is Jiffy Lube charging? Got my pan replaced+fluid drained (not pumped) all for $40 bucks. Only thing I provided was the fluid which I believe took 5 quarts.
Old 16 Mar 2011, 11:53 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptguy69 View Post
Hey everyone,
It's that time again to get my oil changed, but i also am wanting to get my transmission fluid changed at Jiffy Lube. My pt's an ex-rental, with almost 43,000 miles on it. I got it when it had 34,000 miles. I have never changed the fluid myself, and i'm honestly not sure if it has ever been changed during the life of the car. I know that the transaxle requires Mopar certified ATF-4 tranny fluid. I have read stories of places putting in dexron, and i'm a little skeptical. Am I overthinking this? (I probably am!) haha.
thanks,
Before going to the jiffy lube place, call your local dealer and ask what they'd charge for an oil and atf change - including filters for both. It might not be as much as you think and a lot safer.

If you end up going to a lube place, make sure they show you the ATF bottle or specs and have them sign the form that it is definitely ATF-4 and that the filter was changed. Most places just have a big machine with a full tank and an empty tank. Once it's done, the full tank is in your car and the empty is full of your old fluid. You don't know what kind of fluid they used, and they never dropped the transmission pan to change the filter or look for gunk.

No matter what you do, call a the dealer and few transmission places and see what they charge for a proper full ATF-4 fluid change with a filter. You know that they would do it right and might not be any more expensive than the lube place.
Old 17 Mar 2011, 11:03 am
Obsessed Cruiser

around here the dealer wanted $125 the local boys wanted $115

that was with no filter change so i just opted for the old school way
droped the pan cleaned it up changed the filter and put in 6 quarts of new ATF+4
ran the cat 1 month and did it again no it still did not get 100% of the old fluid out but I bet if you had the fluid analized it would pass the NEW test

total cost was right at $80 so actually i didnt save that much
Old 17 Mar 2011, 02:42 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptguy69 View Post
Hey everyone,
thanks,
-Hayden
Jiffy lube doesn't use ATF 4 they used dextron with so called special additives, if you want them to do it just bring your own store bought stuff and watch them do it. That's what I did at Pep Boys.

Chrysler wanted 325.00 to do it, Pet boys charged me an hour labor with my stuff.

"the people should not fear their government, the government should fear the people"- Thomas Jefferson
Old 17 Mar 2011, 04:22 pm
Senior Cruiser

Buy yourself some jackstands, and do it yourself, this isnt rocket science.

If you can spin a wrench you can do this in a morning. Plus you will know it is done correctly and can reward yourself with a Sam Adams afterwards.

I really wonder how many of these transaxles have been trashed by Jiffy lube putting the wrong fluid in or some clueless shop flushing it with a power flush and not changing the filter.

I give all my cars that buy used a quick change on all fluids. I have never repeat never have had any issues with any part of the power train.

Good maintenance practices lead to long longetivity.

89 Shadow ES 2.5 T2 +20's A555 sold
86 TurboZ CS 2.2 T2 +20's A555
90 Daytona ES 2.5 T1 A523
90 Datyona Shelby VNT needs work
00 Durango SLT+ 5.9 4x4
02 Grand Cherokee 4.7 4x4
03 PT GT Black 5 sp Stg 1
05 PT GT Silver 5 Spd Conv
06 PT GT Cool Vanilla 5 spd Conv
06 PT Base Marine Blue 40TE Conv
15 Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7 QD2
Old 18 Mar 2011, 10:28 pm
Regular Cruiser

I bought my car with 65k on it and I don't think my fluid was ever changed. I now have e 72k on it. I know they recommend changing the fluids every 30k or so. Is it too late to change it now?

Old 18 Mar 2011, 10:55 pm
Dedicated Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamestown478 View Post
I bought my car with 65k on it and I don't think my fluid was ever changed. I now have e 72k on it. I know they recommend changing the fluids every 30k or so. Is it too late to change it now?
It's never too late to change your fluids.
Old 18 Mar 2011, 10:58 pm
Regular Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBluePT View Post
It's never too late to change your fluids.
ok. I just thought someone told me that if you wait too long that you might do more harm changing them then just leaving the old stuff in there.

Tags
2.4, chrysler, engine, service, transmission