Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2002 Manual Overheated, Warped heads?!?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 21 Mar 2011, 04:03 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Unhappy 2002 Manual Overheated, Warped heads?!?

Ok, so last year the fans on the radiator stopped working. Went to one place and they only replaced one fan, then the thermostat, then the cap(idiots!), so I took it to the dealer who replaced the second fan and we had a good laugh about the idiots who didn't know there were 2 fans. The engine overheated when this first happened, but the one fan kept it just running hotter than I'd like. It's been fine since.

Until, on a road trip earlier this month I ran over unavoidable, still bouncing, tire debris from a tractor trailer. This apparently managed to damage the water pump as the car overheated about 600 miles later. Added coolant and it was ok, so I kept doing that to get home.

Next, I came across a dead dog on a 2 lane highway, swerved to avoid it, the wheels caught on the edge of the pavement and as I decided to pull away and try another angle to return to pavement (stopped pressing gas when I saw the dead dog, was coasting in gear at the time) the wheels broke free and the car almost flipped but just fishtailed. I let it straighten itself out, tested the stability by trying to turn back into my lane, went into a spin and off the road. This broke the bead on all 4 tires and bent the front control arms.

I managed to limp the car home, putting air & coolant in at every stop, not stopping to sleep because I knew I'd wake up to 4 flat tires and be stuck.
So, now I have 2 new tires and control arms from one shop. Then a new water pump, timing belt (because I hit 100K on this trip) and battery harness at the dealership.

I picked the car up and it overheated on the way home. Took it back to the dealer and they're saying it MIGHT have warped heads, 9hrs labor just to pull them and send them to the cylinder shop to be checked.

At this point I've put so much into it already that I may as well just get the poor thing fixed, yes? If I'd known how much damage there was (as I asked for, I wanted them to check everything!) I might've just scrapped it and bought another car. But, I do truly love my Cruiser. Is it worth fixing? Any ideas about costs?
Old 21 Mar 2011, 05:08 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2002 Manual Overheated, Warped heads?!?

Welcome to the Forum, sorry to hear about your problems. How about filling your profile out so we can figure the possible labor costs in your area, maybe someone on here can direct you to someone that maybe able to help you.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 21 Mar 2011, 05:27 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2002 Manual Overheated, Warped heads?!?

I have a question. You had a good laugh about the idiots that didn't know the PT had two fans. GUESS WHAT. YOU are the only one that has a PT with two fans. The place you went to isn't the unknowing one. If you have two fans, somebody before you added another fan. The PT comes with ONE.

Now if you happen to come from a country that builds a PT with two fans, that's fine. Please fill out your profile as Hooligan asked and we can't figure out some answers for you. Also, for correct diagnosis, we need the year of the PT. Lot's of things changed from year to year on the PT.

Last edited by CREWZIN; 21 Mar 2011 at 05:33 pm.