Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2002 overheat prob

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22 Mar 2011, 06:20 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2002 overheat prob

hi guys i have read some of the stuff on here just don't seam to see my complete prob. i have 2002 had the timeing belt done water pump at around 100000 it has 115000 on it now started overheating was little low on water fix it for couple day then relised the fan was bad fixed it so now around town does fine but on the highway it overheats. any ideas????

Thanks
Lakebum
Old 22 Mar 2011, 06:43 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: 2002 overheat prob

Hate to tell you this but the overheating problem is usually the other way round where it overheats in town or at idle. When it's your way, the most probable cause is a broken head gasket or the head itself.

After saying that, it still could be something else like a partly clogged radiator which would let the coolant flow around town but when the engine needs more cooling at speed, it isn't letting enough water flow around the system.
Old 23 Mar 2011, 09:49 am
Fresh Cruiser

Good morning, I am new to the forum. I joined because my girlfriends PT is overheating as well. I am not familiar with these cars at all but have already done all the usual stuff. When I removed the radiator cap the fluid was a mess! Really cruddy looking. I changed the t-stat, replaced both fan relays (even though the fan was working fine), I have chemically flushed the cooling system twice. I have also had the car tested for exhaust gases and it passed. The car is definately running cooler but is still running hot, so I'm going to replace the radiator, just have one question. I was looking at the 'how to' sticky's and noticed that are two referencing the radiator. One article explaines how to replace the radiator, the other explains how to remove the radiator. My question is this, it looks to me like the A/C lines connect to the radiator??? Is this the case? The replace sticky mentions the A/C lines but the removal sticky does not......Do i need to have the A/C evacuated before I replace the radiator? My apologies for the long post, I do appreciate any information you can provide.

Thank you.
Old 23 Mar 2011, 09:50 am
Fresh Cruiser

My bad, i forgot to share the year of her car, it's a 2001.

Thanks again!
Old 23 Mar 2011, 10:39 am
Young Cruiser

jd what indications do you have that the engine is running hotter than it should be? also was it running hot before you changed the thermostat?
Old 23 Mar 2011, 10:57 am
Fresh Cruiser

The temp gage on the dash indicates that it is still running hot. Yes sir, it was indeed running hot before i replaced the t -stat.
Old 23 Mar 2011, 02:56 pm
Young Cruiser

any other symptoms? check the following,
1) coolant dissapearing, not leaking visually but having to top up all the time?
2) cooling system not pressurizing when at operating tempreture, idle the engine till operating tempreture and using a shop towel or gloves squeeze the upper radiator hose. You should not be able to collapse the hose due to the coolant pressure inside.
3) idle the motor, does the coolant fan switch on once the temp rises above the half way mark on the temp guage?
4) does the high speed fan kick in once the temp guage raises further than 3/4 on the guage?
5) Is there coolant in your oil?
6) Is your oil a foaming brown mixture?

any additional info will help.
Old 26 Mar 2011, 04:06 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Good afternoon cruisers. I have started the radiator remove/replacement and do not see any other way to get the radiator in or our of the car without removing the air intake manifold.......let me know if you have any tricks of the trade.

Thanks all
Old 26 Mar 2011, 09:15 pm
Senior Cruiser

Remove the manifold. Also, why not get a Hayne's Manual (for cheap) and read up on all the particulars.

The manual also tells you exactly how to remove the manifold--and the torque of the bolts (tiny torque) ....

Hayne's misses some items, but it's a good tool to have while you're scratching and stuff ....

Tim
Old 27 Mar 2011, 03:00 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks brutha. Already have a manual. Managed to get everything out without taking the manifold off. Everything is back together now and working fine.