Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
A/C, Low-speed fan not kicking on....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Mar 2011, 02:01 am
Senior Cruiser

Default A/C, Low-speed fan not kicking on....

Ok so I've read enough threads to see that our fans and/or relays commonly go out.

Anyway, I know enough what to check out but it's constantly raining and I don't have a garage to perform any troubleshooting. Just need to wait the weather out. In the meantime.....

Long story short about my AC/fan, about 5-6 weeks ago my friend said his PT Cruiser is running hot. Told him to turn on his A/C and his fan should automatically kick in like mine did (keep in mind the fan did kick in and A/C came on cold).

Well just today, I turned on the A/C as my normal ritual of making sure everything's working correctly and my fan didn't come on. A/C was warm.

Yes, the fan works because if I leave the engine on long enough my car goes through it's cycle of the radiator fan coming on then shutting off. What I'll be doing is testing the relays by swapping the high and low speed relays and turning on the A/C again.

My question is, if I'm low on freon...can this be the reason why my fan won't come on? I'd believe this to be true since the A/C isn't chilly/cold but wasn't sure if the fan should come on at all or not.

Like I said, when the weather clears I'll swap relays in case the low-speed relay went bad. If my freon levels are indeed low and the cause of my low-speed fan not coming on then I'll just get it recharged. If the freon-level has nothing to do with it then I'll assume it's the low-speed on the fan itself and just replace the fan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromenut View Post
Kawi is a friggin genius!
Old 24 Mar 2011, 05:24 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: A/C, Low-speed fan not kicking on....

Low freon will cause the A/C fan NOT to come on.

2008 Silver Steel Metallic, Touring, NA, Sirius; Chromed door handles; lower grille; fog light surrounds; chrome front & rear bumpers strips; Airaid air filter; Bassani duals; Modesty Cover; Autolite AP5263 Platinum Plugs (.040); Crane Plug Wires; NAPA Ceramic pads; Blane hood struts; PTeazer Gas, Brake & Foot Rest Pedals, '05 Rear Step Pad, Stainless Door Sills, Llumar tint, "A" Piller chrome; APC Strut Bar
Old 24 Mar 2011, 07:09 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Agree with Hooligan. The R134a level is monitored by a switch and if pressure is low, the compressor won't come on and if that won't come on, either will the fan. Second, you can't swap relays. You can swap the high speed relay (F) with the horn relay (A) to see if it's good but the low speed relay is a size all it's own. There IS a spare relay (J) that's the same size as the low speed, maybe that can be swapped.

Old 24 Mar 2011, 10:11 am
Senior Cruiser

Thanks guys.

And thanks Crewzin for clearing that up. Haven't been able to pop the hood so I wasn't sure if the statement about the high/low speed relays was true. Read it in another thread before posting this one.

Quote:
Old 24 Mar 2011, 10:36 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawizx9r View Post
Haven't been able to pop the hood so I wasn't sure if the statement about the high/low speed relays was true.

YOU DOUBT MY WORD ???
Only Kidding. I'd take anything I say as suspicious.
Old 24 Mar 2011, 03:09 pm
Senior Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREWZIN View Post
YOU DOUBT MY WORD ???
Only Kidding. I'd take anything I say as suspicious.
LOL

Should've rephrased. I meant this statement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by big block bob
If not, then you need to see if the low speed fan relay has failed. You can swap out with the high speed relay and test your low speed circuit.....
I got my eye on you though

What's with the 'spare' relay though? Chrysler just threw an extra one in there for a 'just in case I need it' moment?

Quote:

Last edited by Kawizx9r; 24 Mar 2011 at 04:25 pm.
Old 24 Mar 2011, 03:47 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

You got me. Just like the spare fuses. Maybe the engineers that designed the PDC (Power Distribution Center) through that we might need some spares.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 01:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I've been reading through the forums, and I appreciate the advice. I've replaced the low speed fan relay, but that hasn't helped with the problem. What is the next step?

Thanks in advance.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 02:10 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecruiserTX View Post
I've been reading through the forums, and I appreciate the advice. I've replaced the low speed fan relay, but that hasn't helped with the problem. What is the next step?

Thanks in advance.
It would nice is you told us what the problem is and introduce yourself. What car do your have, what's the mileage, and what have you done so far except read the forum. Why did you replace the low speed relay?
Old 27 Mar 2011, 02:51 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Sorry, It's 2005 Touring Editon with about 80K on it. We bought it used 4 years ago with 37K on the odometer.

The AC cuts out when the car idles and then stutters when the compressor tries to kick on. Then it blows hot air untill the car starts moving again.

I don't seen any fan blades turning on the radiator fan, but then I can't see much of anything at all of the radiator fan....

In any event, the fan does not appear to be turning, and the low side port of the AC seems to be down near the compressor, where you can't get to it to without removing the grill and assorted bits. I would like to check the 134 level, but can't get to it. Dagnabit!

So, based on the great advice I've read about on the forum, I thought I'd start with the relay since that is only $12.