Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
Windshield wiper motor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Mar 2011, 10:19 am
Fresh Cruiser

Default Windshield wiper motor

So last night I go out and notice it had rained and froze my windshield. I tried to run the wipers and the driver side wiper apparently was frozen to the windshield and would not move. The passenger side wiper was free and wiped, as it should. I then got out and pulled the driver side wiper away from the windshield to free it and then turned the wipers back on, but it was out of "sync" with the passenger side wiper and would only work sporadically. After running a couple of times, the wipers collided and ended up breaking the wiper blade off the passenger side arm so now the whole thing is broken, basically.

The PT is an '01 and I've had it for about 1-1/2 years. Since I've had it, the wipers never stopped correctly and were always about 2 inches to high on the windshield, if that makes sense, so I think there's been an issue all along.

Has anyone ever tore apart the wiper motors? Is this is difficult job to repair, or should I just take it in? I'm pretty handy, but know my limitations and know when to call in an expert. Just wondering if anyone has tackled this before.

Thanks
Old 24 Mar 2011, 10:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: Windshield wiper motor

I reset mine, as they stopped about 2" above the bottom edge of my windshield and I like them to close all the way down. I was worried about moving them and affecting how far they reached during use, but that was not an issue.

In the service manual there is an entire section dedicated to the wipers, pgs 515 thru 518. I'll PM you that info. Hope you didn't mess up the mount as that is the important part, you can knob up the arm and replace that cheaply, but the mount itself is tied to both sides and the motor and is a b*(&h to remove. Alignment of your wipers is as simple as pulling the cap off the arm, loosening the nut and adjusting where the arm lays when off.
Old 24 Mar 2011, 12:38 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Ok, took the arms off and I think I found out right away what the problem is. Looks like the shaft that the wiper arm attaches to stripped out. I presume that means I will have to replace the whole mechanism? Here's a pic of what I found.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo Mar 24, 11 32 45 AM.jpg (97.1 KB, 27 views)
Old 24 Mar 2011, 01:07 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I just did a little more investigation and it appears I might just need a new wiper arm. It's stripped out, but the shaft on the wiper linkage is OK after I wiped all the metal shavings off. Wonder if this is something I can get from AutoZone...
Old 24 Mar 2011, 01:13 pm
Senior Cruiser

yup, she's stripped. chances are the arm part that fits over it is stripped as well. saw a used assembly on ebay for $60 + $25 shipping from an '01. as long as it's going to be replaced anyway, i would line it up with the arm on it and try to drill a small hole throught the side and put a pressure pin in or maybe a small screw. just a thought. cheapest route would be a junkyard for a replacement.

just saw you posted before i did. disregard the above. ya, autozone might have it, check their online site.

Last edited by soyomb; 24 Mar 2011 at 01:15 pm.
Old 24 Mar 2011, 02:10 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Just ordered one from Parts.com. Ended up being a dealer only item, and this place was a bit cheaper than the dealer. The dealers I called didn't have them in stock, so I'd have to order and wait a few days anyway. Hopefully it doesn't rain the next few days as I only have a passenger side wiper

Thanks for the help!
Old 24 Mar 2011, 03:06 pm
Senior Cruiser

while you're waiting for your part, swap the passenger side to your driver side just in case it rains.