PT Cruiser Forum  
Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
2001 PT overheating! Is it the water pump?

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Mar 2011, 03:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Default 2001 PT overheating! Is it the water pump?

My 2001 PT is over heating. After I realized I was having a problem I got to work on it. The cooling system was loosing fluid at a high rate. Once we got under the car there was no apparent leak. We had it up on ramps and let it run for quite some time. There was coolant spewing from the reserve tank at times though. I think that was because I had overfilled the reserve in order to get to the site where I was to work on the car. We replaced the thermostat and the radiator cap. We also drained a gallon of old coolant out and replaced it with fresh full strength. So we get the thing all back together and it seems fine no over heating no apparent leaks. I drove it one full day, about 23 miles to and back from work no problem. This morning I was on my way to work and about 10 miles in at a stop light I realized that I was steaming like crazy and my temp gauge was quickly rising to the red. Pulled over and let it cool a minute. Opened the hood and the reserve was still full? I took off the radiator cap and there was no coolant in there. I could see right down to the thermostat. There was quite a bit of steam comming from the timing belt area which I think is where the water pump is located. I dont know why it didnt draw from the reserve tank. Does this sound like a bad water pump. I just cant see where the coolant is comming from. Pleas help PT Cruiser forum.

Last edited by fduffy28; 24 Mar 2011 at 05:33 pm.
Old 24 Mar 2011, 04:18 pm
Regular Cruiser

Default Re: 2001 PT overheating! Is it the water pump?

is the fan turning on ,check first , how many miles do you have.could be waterpump . but check if fan is turning on

Last edited by LNBNDN; 24 Mar 2011 at 04:23 pm.
Old 24 Mar 2011, 04:52 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Yes the fan is kicking on with no problem. I have 229,653 on it as of today. I know thats a lot and I'm lucky to have got this far with it. Everything else on the car works great. I have totally clean oil and there is no evidence of coolant coming from the exhaust. When it overheated this morning it was smoking from around the timing belt cover area. As I said in my previous post we had it up on ramps running for almost a half hour at idle and there were no aparent leaks from what we could see from above or below the engine.

Last edited by fduffy28; 24 Mar 2011 at 05:35 pm.
Old 24 Mar 2011, 05:53 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Might have gotten air in the system - there is a bleed by the water pump -
also, check the hose that goes from radiator to overflow tank for cracks.
When you drained, what did coolant look like? Murky? If you add water, used distilled - you can get it at supermarket for irons.
Also, at that mileage, you should have had the timing belt replaced twice - once at about 100,000, and again at 200,000, and water pump gets replaced at the same time - did you?

'05 Limited Turbo Lite, (Silver, of course)4-wheel ABS, Sunroof, Spoiler. Mods: E&G Classic grill, K&N FIPK, BTG duals, rear lowered 1.5", LED washer lights, $20 catch can, Aoogah horn, Weatherflectors, Sunroof Deflector, Fuzzy Dice, rear logo flames, rear pinstripe graphic, Gen3 Taillights, rear sway bar, hood struts, Strut bar.
Traded in '02 Silver Touring Edition w/87,000 miles
Old 24 Mar 2011, 06:35 pm
Fresh Cruiser

I did not change the timing belt or the water pump at 200,000. I am pretty sure that it wa done at 100,000 as the previous owners were very good about scheduled repairs. We loosened the bleed before replacing the thermostat but not after..duh..didnt think of that after we replaced it. Air in the system seem like a good idea but I am now almost sure that there is a leak near or on the water pump judging by where all the steam was coming from this morning. When we drained the coolant it looked clear but watery. Would air in the system keep the thermostat from opening? This is the thermostat with the little bleeder valuve built into it.
Old 24 Mar 2011, 07:07 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

No. In fact with air in the system not allowing the water to circulate, the coolant should get hotter and the thermostat would open sooner, if it's working.
Gemm75 likes this.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 24 Mar 2011, 07:29 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Hey Crewzin, have you ever heard of an intermittent coolant leak coming from the water pump or around that area? Also would a leak only become noticeable when the car is being drivin at high speeds verses when it is only at an idle?
Old 24 Mar 2011, 07:30 pm
Fresh Cruiser

we just put a new stainless steel thermostat in two days ago. Is there a chance it was bad out of the box? I thought they were pretty reliable.
Old 24 Mar 2011, 07:59 pm
Obsessed Cruiser

Your thermostat is probably good and the water pump usually has a leak all the time if it's going bad. There's weep hole at the bottom and it drips out from there if it's bad.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 24 Mar 2011, 09:01 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Thanks for the info Crewzin. We are going to tear it apart on Saturday. I will post my findings and what worked or did not.

Tags
2001 pt cruiser, overheating, water pump