Advertisements

Go Back   PT Cruiser Forum > General Forums > Tech & Performance Forum

PT Cruiser Forum

Advertisements
'07 Rough idle when AC is on...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24 Mar 2011, 10:11 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Question '07 Rough idle when AC is on...

Just purchased a used 07 PT. touring non turbo with 53K miles. Wife's car so I have not personally witnessed said problem however she states that when vehicle is warm and the AC is on the PT lopes and idles extreamely rough and also blows warm: no complaints when under power during regular driving, also it does not seem to have any overheating issues... I have already purchased a new set of plugs and wires "not OEM" after reading some of the threads and will be cleaning injectors and some of the sensors... Also will be checking radiator fan under load this weekend after changing the plugs and wires...Checked with dealer prior to purchase, AC Compressor and Low pressure switch changed under warranty at 34K, intake gasket changed at 46K, also by dealer... Those were the only events that I could dig up... I drove the daylights out of it for about 100miles prior to purchase, checked for evidence of major engine work and no tool marks at all exept what was mentioned above, it didn't give me any problems whatsoever "AC running, Stop and Go, Highway"... Go Figure... any different ideas are welcomed and appreciated... Thanks...
Old 25 Mar 2011, 07:05 am
Obsessed Cruiser

Default Re: '07 Rough idle when AC is on...

Looks and sounds like you did your homework. I have no suggestions except to follow through on your maintenance and see if that cures your problem. Make sure both speeds of the fan are running. No matter how cold the car is, the fan should come on as soon as you turn on the A/C. It hard to see but if you mark one tip of the fan with a bright color, when the fans spinning you should be able to pick it out with a flashlight or don't bother with that if you can see the fan.

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 25 Mar 2011, 07:00 pm
Senior Cruiser

Tre, it sounds like the radiator fan is not turning up to snuff. If the A/C doesn't blow cold when idling, and the engine stutters and acts like it's going to die--also during idle, then it's probably your fan not turning (or not turning enough) to cool your A/C condenser. Your A/C coolant needs to be cooled at idle, or else too much pressure builds up in your compressor, putting too much strain on your motor at idle.

If the problem goes away when you're flying down the road (the A/C is blowing cool, and the engine stutter disappears) it's because the air, rushing past your condenser is doing the cooling in lieu of the fan.

The fan on my 2003 PT was not turning and I had the same symptoms--although the engine never overheated (isn't that weird?).

Tim
Old 25 Mar 2011, 10:10 pm
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfrodolives View Post
Tre, it sounds like the radiator fan is not turning up to snuff. If the A/C doesn't blow cold when idling, and the engine stutters and acts like it's going to die--also during idle, then it's probably your fan not turning (or not turning enough) to cool your A/C condenser. Your A/C coolant needs to be cooled at idle, or else too much pressure builds up in your compressor, putting too much strain on your motor at idle.

If the problem goes away when you're flying down the road (the A/C is blowing cool, and the engine stutter disappears) it's because the air, rushing past your condenser is doing the cooling in lieu of the fan.

The fan on my 2003 PT was not turning and I had the same symptoms--although the engine never overheated (isn't that weird?).

Tim
+1
Old 26 Mar 2011, 10:17 pm
Fresh Cruiser

Just to let interested parties know, changed plugs and wires along with cleaning sensors and throttle body etc. Problem still persisted... Took about an hour to get just the right conditions, however I found out with a friends help that the Low side of the Radiator Fan could not be energized no matter what we did... Also Found out that the High pressure side on the AC compressor can top 450psi when this condition exists..."READ THIS IS NOT GOOD FOR YOUR SYSTEM"... Fan assembly on it way "two business days" cost here ranged from $150 to over $450 just for the assembly... My friend and I will tackle it when it gets here... It helps to have people with skills that are willing to step up... Will post results: Hopefully this will cure this problem... Thanks for the info and the timely responses to the questions... T.

Last edited by Tregan; 26 Mar 2011 at 10:21 pm.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 02:35 am
Obsessed Cruiser

This isn't for your model PT but some of the information may help....

Removing the fan and housing 01-05 PT

- All decisions by the Moderator are semi-permanent, can and may be changed at his discretion but definitely will be the final word. Any action performed by the Administrator or Moderators are not to be discussed on the forum.
Old 27 Mar 2011, 05:54 pm
Senior Cruiser

Tre, I can believe the compressor p.s.i. Mine got so high that it ruptured an A/C line--cause we just let it go too long--the idle stutter, etc. Too long isn't a lot, either. So it's good that you're working on the problem now--before something blows in your A/C.

Let us know how the fix goes.

Tim